Me on FB

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Me on TV again! ...Well, my voice and my music :)

I'm blogging after what seems like eternity. Anyway, this time, it's because I have something to show off and brag about :P - I came on TV again! :) (prev appearances were on NDTV's "The Social Network" show - The first time in Jan 2013 and the second time in Apr 2013)

Well, this time, on the screen was not me myself, but my voice and my music :)

Popular Tamil comedy TV channel, Adithya TV (of Sun Network) aired "VIP" on their show titled "Popcorn Boys" which has Pandiarajan, Madan Bob and Anumohan as judges.


I will update this blog post with the Youtube link of the episode once it is uploaded on Adithya TV's Youtube channel.

UPDATE: Here's the episode!

Anyway, VIP is a short movie in Tamil for which I've done the following:

1. Partially scored the background music
2. Scored the official soundtrack
3. Dubbed the narrative voice :)

The movie is a remake of a Telugu short film titled "Start Rolling Action" for which I've scored the official soundtrack  and almost 80% of the background music.

Here are the videos of today's TV appearance I recorded. 

I didn't upload the video with the judges' comments because that was way too big in size and I have a terrible net connection :) ...so like I said, I'll update this post with the Youtube link of the episode itself, once Adithya TV uploads it on their channel.

UPDATE: I've updated it ..check the link a few paragraphs ago ...

Phew...well, what do I say?
To see all your hard work being shown on TV is very highly satisfying, pretty much a dream come true....and it isn't something that happens everyday :) So, it feels really great :) really exciting..Thank you, God!

Thanks to director Senthil, who gave me these opportunities and persisted with me despite me hardly having any time to compose for the Tamil version, VIP....thanks to my family and friends of mine who've always encouraged me - you know who you are! :) So I won't take names here....

Well, those who're close to me know that I always wanted to try and make it big in music - I made a few songs of my own in 2011 (all available here), got some encouragement from friends and family and that was it. Soon, even that stopped happening :P ...people just weren't bothered when I put up a new song...and I'm not the kinda person who keeps pestering people to listen, like, share, RT etc etc. That's a principle I've followed even with my articles. Those who've liked them and spread them have done so, on their own accord...Sorry if I'm beginning to sound like the sanctimonious Yogendra Yadav :P ..but another principle - I also don't believe in RTing compliments, like most of these celebrities do...I've hardly ever done that...

Anyway, back to the point, though I tried convincing myself that I make music for my satisfaction and whether people listen to it or not doesn't really matter, I really couldn't :)...it somehow got to me that I'm just not good enough and it sort of put me down...I guess I'm human after all :) ...After all, I'm not one of those trained musicians...I'm just a self-taught jack of the trade...

The silver lining in this rather dark tunnel was that I got an opportunity from Honna Heights to score music for a silent short movie - "Connect". Not only was it a big challenge, but it was also very very satisfying for my creative appetite. It was screened at a couple of short film festivals in Bangalore and it was an awesome feeling to see my work on a big screen :)

In 2012, God blessed me with something that has changed my life :) ...On Jan 7th 2012, I began a divine and truly UnReal journey with The UnReal Times..I still remember the day my very first article was published...more than 2 years have passed and I still feel the same verve while writing an article even today :)....If Karan Johar asked me "An idea that changed your life?" in his rapid fire round, I would, without any shred of doubt, answer "The UnReal Times" :D ...

So, by the day, I get sucked deeper and deeper into this vortex of writing satire :) ....not only is it creatively satisfying like nothing else, but it has also given me a good set of enthusiastic and very very encouraging readers...whom I'd like to thank once again, at this point :)....it's a combination of both - my creative urges as well as readers' encouragement that keeps me going and I just can't do without either :)....

So yeah, my world revolved around my day job and writing....that pretty much summed up my life...music was pretty much out of the picture ...until very recently, where I began to get the urge to lay my hands on my dust-covered keyboard all over again and exercise my rusty vocal chords :) ....so I started recording videos of my attempts at some of my favourite songs (most of them being numbers by Harris Jayaraj)...
Anyway, I'm still more known for my writing than for my music :)

It has been more than a year since I connected my music keyboard to my desktop, opened Audacity, recorded something and mixed sounds. I, somehow, just didn't feel attracted to all that...

But now, with my music + dubbing getting airtime on a popular TV channel, I just might start making music again :)...fine..not many people may listen to my music...not many folks may encourage me...but, if I'm able to get another burst of utopian excitement and bliss like the one I just got today while watching my dubbing and music on a popular TV channel, it will fully be worth it! :)

Yeah...one more thing - music apart, dubbing for the first time was a super experience too! Thanks again, Senthil! I struggled very hard to get the local Chennai accent...hope I don't sound like Deepika Padukone in Chennai Express :P...

So here's to another innings in making music, which hopefully doesn't vanish in thin air like my attempts at gymming or exercising :P...

Cheers!
Ashwin

PS - Here's the playlist of the 3 short films I've scored music for, until now