Me on FB

Friday, July 13, 2012

Eega / Naan Ee : Review / Experience - The perfect, wildest celebration of the power of human imagination




I usually feel satisfied writing blog posts about things I really adore as much as my life ...But I'm afraid that on this occasion, I'm really...still not satisfied with this post ...I have failed to bring to words, the EXACT AMOUNT OF EXCITEMENT I'M FEELING AFTER WATCHING THIS MOVIE ...THAT IS, BAD, IN A WAY, FOR ME ....BUT I guess it just goes to show how INEXPLICABLE the movie is ....and goes to show how SPEECHLESS it has left me ...because I'm still not able to find the right words to convey my feelings about this UNBELIEVABLE, LEGENDARY, MASTERPIECE OF MAGIC on celluloid....


So yes, this is the FIRST blog post of mine which I myself am not satisfied with!!. I haven't been able to clearly bring out the way I feel about this movie ...and of course ...I'm afraid my description hasn't done justice to how the movie ACTUALLY is ...

Okay, here's a first point right-away: For all the so-called "logical", "practical", sarcastic folks who only know to make fun of things and can take nothing seriously, who're even revered online like celebrities for the same reason, you can safely stay away from this post. If anything, just like the movie, this may just be another piece of fodder for you to mock, which you can gladly use.

The rest of you, before you point fingers at me and say that I'm a satirist and I shouldn't be saying such things, let me also remind you that I'm 100% fake only on Satire TV and The UnReal Times and I'm 100% real on this blog :).

So, get ready for another monstrously detailed, completely informal and emotional experience of mine, this time, that of watching, what is, according to me, India's BEST-EVER fantasy movie and easily one of THE BEST FANTASY MOVIES IN THE WORLD. First of all, we know how Indian cinema is, especially Tollywood and Kollywood. The only thing people want is "mass masala" movies and even for those to run, one needs half-naked heroines with a lot of on-screen molestation going on. Director SS Rajamouli himself had fallen into the same trap during his earlier film, Vikramarkudu. That movie was remembered more as an Anushka treat, than anything else.Of all the Telugu movies I've seen in recent times, the only "fresh" movie I can think of, is "Happy Days".

And OUT OF THE BLUE, OUT OF NOWHERE ...COMES THIS SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE GEM called "EEGA" :) :) :)...and in Tamil as "Naan Ee". Commercial movie-makers and heroes will surely be feeling tight slaps on their faces, thanks to this movie. When the trailer was out, everyone laughed it off. Everyone thought that it would sink for sure, given that such movies "cannot be accepted" by the Indian audience.

I was in awe of the unique concept, but to be frank, I too, initially, wasn't too positive about the film. Indians are HARDLY EVER good at making sci-fi and fantasy movies. Barring Endhiran, EVERY such attempt has flopped. Ra.One was a colossal waste of time, money and energy. Aayirathil Oruvan had terrible graphics and was too complicated. Love Story 2050 - well, I think Priyanka Chopra and Harman Baweja themselves wouldn't remember having acted in such a movie.

But then, when it released, the movie was EVERYWHERE - Facebook, Twitter and ALL websites were filled with appreciative stuff about the movie and Sudeep was being praised like never before.  So I too, felt like watching it and the MAIN incentive - it was running in my FAVORITE THEATER, VIJAY THEATER in Bangalore :D ...You SIMPLY don't get better theaters than that one!! :D

It was a Wednesday evening and I felt like catching the evening show at 6.15 pm. One call to "Nanben da" Sundar and he was in, too. I expected a good film, a good attempt, but what played on for the next 2 hours SIMPLY BLEW ME AWAY LIKE HELL !!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the status message I posted on FB, after I came back home :

Naan Ee : WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!.......infinity !! :) :) :) :) :)

That's the only thing I can seem to be able to say !!!!


It left me speechless, spellbound, awestruck, frozen, stupefied ...All superlatives in the dictionary can be listed here !! :) :) :) :)


SENSATIONAL ..EXTRAORDINARY ...OUT-OF-THE-WORLD ...UNBELIEVABLE ...INEXPLICABLE !! :D ...again, all superlatives allowed :D


SS Rajamouli
: BOWS AND WITHDRAWS !! Saashtaanga namaskara s!!!!!!

Kicha Sudeep: WTH were u doing all these days, man! This is TRULY the stuff you're made of !! SUPER-AWESOME !!!!!!!

Blog coming soon :)

and believe me, it is difficult to get off this state of mind each time I recollect the experience, like even now, when I'm writing about it :) 

The first few minutes are PLAIN BORING, but sadly, necessary ...with the only tolerable things being Sudeep's amazing acting and Samantha as an eye-candy....The song which plays is terrible...Sudeep falls for Samantha....and finally kills Naani, as he is an obstacle to his pursuit ...Naani is reborn as a housefly.

FROM HERE ONWARDS, UNTIL THE END ....CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS "AWESOMENESS EXTRAORDINAIRE" !!!! :) :) :) :) .....The Ee's entry is SUPER-AWESOME ....LOVELY BGM !!!!!!!!! TRUST ME, I HOWLED AND WHISTLED AS THOUGH THE SIVAJI "MOTTA BOSS" RAJNI WAS MAKING AN ENTRY :) :) ...HATS OFF to the one who thought about the LOOK of the Ee ...IT LOOKS ADORABLE, TO SAY THE LEAST !!!!!!!

The way it comes out of the egg ..and then learns to fly while escaping from a flood - SUPER-AWESOME !!!! FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS, BEGAN A SERIES OF "OHHH MANNNNNN !!!! WOWWWWW" exclamations from me which Sundar would've SURELY got bored of hearing :D :D....
THE SCENE IS JUST BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!! From here onwards, begins a WELL-RESEARCHED journey of a housefly, deliciously mixed with oodles of fantasy !!!!! :) :) :) ....The scene where it is about to be stamped, the scene where it is about to be run over by a car, the scene where it has "Hit" sprayed on it all over, the scene where it is caught in Sudeep's drink...EVERY such scene GIVES YOU GOOSEBUMPS !!!!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT

THE ENDING LITERALLY MAKES YOU FEEL SAD !!!!! Of course, it is good that the Ee comes back....but I personally feel the ending would have been superawesome, had the Ee been reborn as something else ..instead of as another Ee.

SPOILER OVER

The RAPID flight ...from one place to another through pipes, the undersides of lorries ..WOW !!!!!!!!! SUPERAWESOME !!!!!!! :D :D ....The BGM was apt for the movie...making it seem like the Ee is AS POWERFUL in warranting whistles and howls like Rajni !!!! 

We've seen movies like these in Hollywood - Antz, A Bug's life, Mousehunt ...and so on....BUT KUDOS to the team for choosing a Housefly !!!!!! IT TAKES GUTS, BRILLIANCE AND THE FULLEST EXPLOITATION OF HUMAN POWER OF IMAGINATION TO MAKE SUCH A MOVIE !!!!!!!
THAT IN ITSELF, MAKES EEGA / NAAN EE ONE OF THE MOST UNIQUE FILMS IN THE WORLD ....

What mainly works ( WHAT DOESN'T WORK ACTUALLY ?!!!!! EVERY SINGLE THING WORKS BIG TIME :) I CAN GO ON AND ON :) )

  • The housefly is one of THE MOST common insects in India, apart from the mosquito. Mosquitoes bite and are dangerous, houseflies aren't dangerous ..they are just plain annoying ...Correction: After this movie, they are NOT annoying :D ...but endearing :D :D ...So, the audience would be able to identify with what all a housefly does ...
  • It makes you respect every single living thing, no matter how big or small, and give it value :) ...be it even grass or a tree or an ant :)
  • There is the "David v/s Goliath" angle which works BIG TIME :) ...It goes to show that one should NEVER underestimate anything, no matter how small or powerless it seems to be...
  • The absence of speech ...HATS OFF to the team to have conceptualized the Ee's expressions ...UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME !!!!!!!!! THOSE EXPRESSIONS THEMSELVES CAUSE YOUR ADULATION FOR IT !!!
  • THE THEORY OF KARMA WORKS OVERTIME IN THIS MOVIE ...Things good / bad done to others will ALWAYS come back to you ...WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND ....
  •  Love that is destined not to die, will never die :) PURE, TRUE LOVE LIVES FOREVER !!
  • THE VISUAL EFFECTS ARE TOP-CLASS, UNBELIEVABLY STATE-OF-THE-ART ...That's what makes it a pleasure to watch !!!!!!! SUPERB !!!!!! The film would've flopped if not for these effects ....Remember Dasavatharam??
  • THE BUZZING ...A VERY CRUCIAL PART ...KUDOS TO THE SOUND ENGINEERS !!!!!! A SLIGHT SCREW-UP IN THIS AREA WOULD'VE MADE SURE THE MOVIE FLOPPED ....THE BUZZING WAS SWEET AND NOT ANNOYING !!!!!!!!!
  • The special vision from the housefly's perspective !!!!!!!! TOO FREAKING AWESOME !!!!!
  • Samantha - no exposing, no glam, a clean role ...and a very good and appropriate character, that of a micro-artist ...
  • Sudeep - UNBELIEVABLE, EXTRAORDINARY, STELLAR PERFORMANCE....ONE OF THE BEST ANTAGONISTS I'VE EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA !!!!! IT IS MAGICAL - How he EFFORTLESSLY switches between being menacing, scared, shocked, tortured ...BRILLIANT !!!
  • Rajamouli - THIS IS THE STUFF HE IS MADE OF ...WE SINCERELY WISH TO SEE MORE OF THIS BRILLIANCE ...THIS UNBELIEVABLE INTELLIGENCE AND SKILL ....
  • Keeravani or whoever has done the BGM - SUPERB !! TAKE A BOW !!!
I am NOT kidding when I say that Eega / Naan Ee deserves an Oscar ...Very few things make you look positively at a widely perceived negative thing :) ...For example, Tom and Jerry is probably the only thing where you don't feel like saying "Ewww" on looking at the mouse :) ..Tom and Jerry makes you find the mouse adorable :) ...Naan Ee is JUST like that !!!!!!!!!!! :) Makes you love the Ee !!! :)

Houseflies, by and large are considered pesky and annoying ...but henceforth, each housefly will remind you of this adorable Ee and you will really not feel like swatting it or hating it :) ...The sad thing is, of course, in reality, houseflies sit on everything from shit as well as food, so that is dangerous ...and they have to be kept away....

I'M SURELY GONNA WATCH THIS A 100 TIMES....AND I AM SURE I WILL ALWAYS CHERISH WATCHING THIS MOVIE ...EACH TIME WITH THE SAME EXCITEMENT AND ANIMATION :) :) Call me a kid ...tell me to grow up ...whatever!! Screw you! :D Naan Ee ROCKS !!!!!!! :) :)

@ People who are gonna laugh at this movie - It's sadly "fashionable" to hail Hollywood movies and decimate GENUINE, WONDERFUL, HONEST, WORKS OF BRILLIANCE by Indians ...If you find this laughable and nonsensical and you find Harry Potter, Spiderman etc very logical and believable ...you are hypocrites ..that's all I can say :) ...






No comments: