Me on FB

Sunday, May 13, 2012

SHREYA GHOSHAL live in concert on May 12, 2012 @ Gayathri Vihar, Palace grounds, Bangalore : Review / Experience



For regular readers of my blog:

This is another book alright :) ...
But don't expect it to be as passionate or as exciting as my previous blog posts about concerts....simply because the first experience of anything is always bound to be THE BEST one...This occasion was the 3rd time I watched Shreya Ghoshal live ...So there is a sense of familiarity that has crept in, which has, I must admit, kinda restricted me from being the hyper-excited Danny Morrison that I usually am :D ...But nonetheless, I've done this for Harris Jayaraj, Yuvan Shankar Raja, AR Rahman and most recently, Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik ....and it is ONLY fair, by my standards, that I write my concert "book" about this legend too, simply because of the immense joy she has brought to me and millions around the world, with her magical, alluring voice. I'm just an ordinary, seedha-saadha guy in Bangalore, but yet, this is my way of valuing and honoring her contribution to the field of music and thereby, to a major chunk of the happiness in my life. With this post, I really hope I'm able to convey how much Shreya and her songs mean to me, as well as to the people of Bangalore and after seeing yesterday's crowd and their insane response to the show, I can only consider myself proud to be a Bangalorean as well as a Shreya G fan :)...This is more of a tribute to her concert on behalf of the city of Bangalore :) ....It might not bring out how much excitement there actually was ...but it is sure detailed and meticulous :) ...

So yeah...as usual, if you want to read all the build-up, read on...Else, please fast-forward and scroll down to "The event begins" or "Shreya Arrives" section ...

For first-timers on my blog:

Welcome to my blog people ...Well, let me get into the point straightaway - I'm not the usual blogger you'll find everywhere on the net ...

My blog posts, especially about concerts ...are books, in themselves ....No wonder the blog is called "Majestically Gigantic" :)....So I'm telling you now itself, if you really wanna read my experience of this concert, please prepare yourself to set aside half an hour at least ..or one hour, may be :)...They're not the usual, formal posts you'll find ...My posts are as informal as they can get ...and as "scribbly" too..:)

People are usually amazed at this weird passion of mine - writing "books" about every concert I've liked ...But yeah ...THAT'S ME !! :) More than being a passion of mine, it is my way of valuing artists and letting them know what an awesome time I had and how much of joy they bring to me :)....and it has only taken my happiness upwards to previously untouched levels when people value my "books" and show their appreciation :) ...It was an honor for me when my review of the AR Rahman concert was featured on Yahoo! News :) ...and it feels simply great when people tweet in their appreciation of my posts as well :)

My greatest moment in life came when none other than my idol and most favorite Harris Jayaraj himself read my blog post and tweeted about how much he was touched by the post
:) :) :) ...

So yeah ...prepare yourself for a kinda blog post book you would've never seen before :)  ...Please feel free to skip all my other talk and go straight down to the "Shreya Arrives" section if you wish :)

How much am I a fan of Shreya?

Well, let me confess that I'm a 90s guy :)...so I swear by Alka Yagnik :) ..and it was one of the most delightful experiences to see her perform live with Kumar Sanu a few weeks ago in Bangalore :) ...It was most refreshing :) ...However, I must admit that if there's one singer after Alka who has taken the music world by storm and just carried it away with her with the greatest of ease, it is Shreya G :) :)....I'm a bit sad that Alka has been more or less overthrown today ...but of course, I'm equally happy that someone is carrying the legacy forward in the best manner possible :) :)...

I've been a HUGE fan of SG ever since the days of Devdas ...Call me biased, but I don't listen much to Bollywood music these days ...I somehow find it monotonous and lacking soul ...I mostly listen to Tamil songs...and I know ALL songs of Shreya G in Tamil :) ...even those that unfortunately sank without a trace...I urge all SG fans to listen to this song called "Yaaradi" from the movie "Thambikku Endha Ooru" ...It's one of the best duets I've ever head ...SG and Hariharan have masterfully rendered the song which is beautifully composed by one of my recent favorites, Dharan, a Harris Jayaraj protege ....There's an aalaap in the middle of the song, sung by SG, which is just OUT-OF-THE-WORLD :)...

There's this other recent song, "Sol pechu kekkaama", from "Thillalangadi", which SG has sung with Chitra, composed by Yuvan ...this is pure magic as well :) ....So yeah, I'm mainly a fan of SG's songs in Tamil ...and of course, some of her huge hits in Hindi too :)...

Call me biased..or one with a weird taste ...but some of my favorite songs of Shreya in Hindi are the ones by Harris and ARR - "Main Chali" from "Force" :) :) ...and "Lattoo lattoo" from Ghajini...IMO, they've got tunes which touch my soul and when coupled with Shreya's voice, the songs just take it away :) :)..."Kaise mujhe" from Ghajini, "Tu hi meri dost hai" from Yuvraaj ...and so on :) .....and in Tamil .."Munbe va",  "Maja maja" (from the same movie Jillendru oru Kadhal) ..."Manippaaya" from Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaaya..."Thaen thaen" from Kuruvi .."Onna vida" from Virumaandi..."Pathukkule number" from Vasool Raja.....and IMO, HER BEST TAMIL SONG TILL DATE - "Pani Thuli" from Kanda Naal Mudhal ...

But I'm a bit sad that THE MASTER OF MELODY, Harris, still hasn't derived the best out of her till date - Andankkaaka from Anniyan, Sogasu from Sainikudu weren't the best of Harris ( Well, Randakka was classy...but it was more due to the music than SGs voice...any other singer could've done it too! ) ....Main Chali from Force was up to Harris' standards....Here's hoping that their upcoming song from "Maatran" derives the best out of SG :) :) ...

My 3rd live experience of Shreya

I first attended Shreya's concert in Columbus, Ohio in 2010, at the Palace Theater :)...I had just finished by Masters then at The Ohio State University....It was organized by COBCA ( Central Ohio Bengali Cultural or something Association ) ...I paid $28 to attend what was THE BEST CONCERT I had seen UNTIL then :) :) ...This was THE ONLY COMPLETE CONCERT, I should say, because she had sung ALL ...I really mean ..ALL OF HER HIT SONGS ..until then :)....SHE EVEN SANG A FEW LINES OF LATTOO ..WHEN I REQUESTED FROM FAR BEHIND :) ..HOW SWEET !!! :)....and in an indoor hall with BRILLIANT acoustics, it was just PERFECT !!! It was no surprise that she was even honored by the Governor of Ohio with a honorary citizen award !!! :) :) :) ...What a proud moment !! :) ...


Believe it or not, EVEN ON THAT NIGHT - IT RAINED IN COLUMBUS !! :D :D ...Wow !! Shreya G and rain - some connection ! :D

The 2nd time was at Yuvan Shankar Raja's concert in Chennai ...I had gone all the way to Chennai ONLY for this concert :) ...and over there, Shreya G was pure magic, when she sang - "Ninaithu ninaithu" from 7G Rainbow Colony and "Ayyayyo" from Paruthi Veeran ...

So yeah, this being the 3rd time...I must confess my excitement was a little less than the first time ..Well, it's bound to happen :) the first experience of someone is always the most looked forward to ...and you're most pleased when your expectations are fulfilled ...However, when it is the 3rd or 4th time ...there's a sense of familiarity which kinda kills the excitement a little :) ...and you always tend to compare it with the first experience ..and so on....you shouldn't :) ...but it just happens ...you can't help it :) ...But yet, that never stopped me from attending this concert :) ...and it won't ever stop me even if it is the 20th or 25th time I see SG live :) :) ...I will STILL attend !! :) :) :)

So that's why said this at the beginning - if you find this "book" of mine quite lacking the excitement and enthusiasm which my other posts have :) ...blame it on 2 things - 
1 Familiarity 
2. A bad sound system and arrangement, which kinda spoiled the concert a little ....

With this, let me get to the pre-concert build up ..

Of rain and delays - the build-up to the concert 

( READ ONLY IF YOU ARE VERY JOBLESS :P ...Else you can go straight down to the "Shreya arrives" section )

5.20 pm - I arrive at the venue...Yes, I'm always early ..and more so, this time, because it was cloudy and I wanted to reach before it started pouring ...So, as I entered, I heard musicians practicing Teri Ore (the shehnai bit), Vaada Raha, Yeh Ishq Haaye (rhythm), Zoobi Doobi (piano bit)...

5.25 pm - I got in and took a seat in the INR 500 zone ...It felt as if I were sitting in a factory ...huge asbestos sheets covering the place...The distance from the stage wasn't all that much, but the 500 zone seemed smaller compared to the 1000 and 1500 ones...The stage screen had a purple background ...with all the rainbow colors on either side....The musicians practice Araluthiruva's starting bit ...

5.30 pm - There's a good crowd now itself ..the first few rows of each zone are completely filled ...

5.34 pm - Security personnel with a sniffer dog make their way through the zone ...the dog stopped to sniff me :D ...but then went away !! What was I carrying?! :-/ ...I just observed my zone ...8 rows of about 50-60 seats each ...and it was almost filled by this time !! Wow! An acoustic guitar that was being tested sounded very good ..

5.38 pm - The screen background changed to a really cool fire anime...Different instruments such as the clean guitar and a mouth organ sound were being tested...the mic was a bit shrill ...

5.44 pm - A Kannada song, "Jeevana", was being tested ....

5.45 pm - The sky is real cloudy ..looks like it can pour any moment ....Thank God I'm in !

5.47 pm - Ads of Golden Gate and Visual Kammotion appear on screen ...

5.49 pm - My friend Gautam calls me up and says he's arrived :)..

5.50 pm - The interlude bit of Om Shanti Om's title song is tested ...

5.52 pm - I just noticed - There were no screens in the zones !!! :( DAMN !!! Unfair! :( That was the first drawback of this concert !! :(  Anyways, my friend Gautam arrives :)

6.02 pm - Mic check begins ...

6.04 pm - Ishq sufiyaana is played

6.06 pm - Teri meri is tested ..

6.08 pm - Ooh la la is tested

6.09 pm - A song "Baare baare" from the movie "Vishnuvardhana" is played ..I didn't know that !! Gautam identified it !

6.10 pm - The ad of TOI slamming The Hindu is played ...followed by an ad of Sheraton ...

6.11 pm - It starts pouring, accompanied by flashes of lightning ..

6.33 pm - A lamp is placed on stage ...Lot of mosquitoes hovering around ..Pity I wore shorts !! :(  Some English song was playing ..there was rain dripping in the zones ...in spite of those sheets ..

6.38 pm - The 500 zone was completely full ..people were even standing behind ...some people were holding umbrellas...the 1000 zone was almost full ...

6.40 pm - "Kolaveri" is played ...entices the first howls and whistles from the audience ...rain dripping from the sides of the asbestos sheets makes it look like a musical fountain :) ...There was a stream of rain water flowing over our legs !! :)

6.48 pm - Stray, random howls of impatience begin...

6.50 pm - Gautam tells me the non-stop rain is may be because SG is practicing "Barso Re" backstage :)

6.52 pm - Rain reduces a little :)

7.00 pm - Mic check begins again ...

THE EVENT BEGINS

7.05 pm - A lady anchor arrives, gets the crowd to scream and says "Nanna hesaru Shreya Ghoshal alla ..I'm Vasanthi, your host for the evening"....She said that rains happening before an event is a sign of auspiciousness ...given that this concert was happening for a very noble cause ...

7.07 pm - A fashion show, choreographed by one Rajesh, began ... I bought a chapathi roll priced ridiculously at INR 100 ...A group of people from my zone hurled abuses at folks who were blocking the view of the ramp walk models :P ...walking to the tune of "Kaliyon Ka Chaman" with wardrobe sponsored by Pantaloons ...

7.18 pm - Fashion show gets over ...Stage screen stops working ....

7.19 pm - "Kolaveri" plays again ...people whistle ...Good question to ask the rain God, methinks....

7.21 pm - "Chikni Chameli" plays ...for a moment ..people think SG has arrived and go bonkers ..until they realize the song is being played ...The 1000 zone is full...Sheila's remix is being played ..lights and smoke are being tested ...

7.24 pm - Kolaveri remix is now played ....

7.25 pm - Chants of "Shreya ..Shreya" begin !!

7.26 pm - Some Kannada folk song is played ...

7.27 pm - Hindi Hosanna ...

7.28 pm - Vasanthi is back, she says SG has arrived, HUGE howl from the crowd ...Concert delayed by a few minutes due to rain causing some technical defects ...Please wait for 10 mins ...

7.29 pm - "We will rock you" plays ...I sing "Ek Garam Chai" instead :D :P

7.30 pm - "Sikkapatte" from the movie Super, plays ...crowd whistles to the beat ...I too, howl :P
But it begins to rain again ! :(

7.38 pm - Sound check happens ...Vasanthi's back, looking ravishing in a red/pink saree...she says the technical glitch has been sorted out ...She calls out to Shivprasad Mallya, supposed to be a winner of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa...Vasanthi asks "What is Shreya gonna sing?" ...Shiv says "Everything!" ...Well, this has been a feature of SG's concerts ...Even in her Columbus concert, before her arrival, Harpreet Deol (a contestant of Star Voice of India..if I'm not wrong) performed a few songs ..and he was really good :)...

Shiv sings "Dil sambhal ja zara" from "Murder 2" ...Gautam only identified this song :) I haven't heard it ..I told u, I'm not that good in Bollywood music these days :) ..Gautam said that it is originally sung by Arijit..the Fame Gurukul contestant ...Blah, I was a Qazi Tauqeer fan ! :D :D ...anyways at 7.43 pm - the tempo increased ...and he finished the song

7.45 pm - He sings "Ishq sufiyaana" ...

7.48 pm - Vasanthi';s back ...introduces Shreya as "beautiful" and a "voice like honey" ...these might sound cliched to Shreya ..but that's the plain truth :) isn't it? ...She asks to scream "Shreya" at the count of 3,2,1 ..

SHREYA ARRIVES

For the benefit of those who don't want to read the post and just want to see the song list, I've just highlighted the song names in bold red and large font :) ...so that you can skim through :)

7.50 pm - She walked in, looking absolutely gorgeous in a white saree I think ...DAMN !! I was cursing the organizers for not providing screens at each zone !! :P ....She began crooning "Teri Meri Prem Kahaani" ...The crowd went hysterical right away....I was just amazed !! NEVER, HAVE I EVER SEEN SUCH AN ENERGETIC CROWD FOR ANY CONCERT IN BANGALORE !!! WOW !!! SG might have performed about 1000 concerts by now ...but STILL, I can bet any amount that THIS SORTA CROWD WOULD'VE STILL GIVEN HR THE JITTERS !!

I'm an aspiring musician and I uselessly dream of having a crowd like this for me someday :D :P ...but even if that dream comes true, I really doubt that I would not feel nervous under such tremendous energy !! Anyway, the sound system was faulty here ....The high-volume rhythm was overshadowing the music as well as SG's voice...Plus the mike - it added so much of an echo which was an advantage as well as a disadvantage ....the advantage being that one could hear SG's brilliant renditions of high notes twice or thrice :) :) and re-experience the momentary bliss :) :) ...but the sad part was the echo overshadowed her low notes ...which lead to lyrics not being heard properly!! :-/ Nevertheless ...an awesome start to the concert :)

SG appreciated the crowd's energy as expected ..and requested them to request for songs :) just like Alka did in her concert few weeks ago :) Wow !! Like a said, A TRUE successor in every sense of the word !! :) ...Not just singing - Humility, the Bong connection :P ...and so on ..:) ....Without a doubt, one can timeline the queens of playback singing as Lata Mangeshkar -> Alka Yagnik -> Shreya Ghoshal :) ..Shreya's probably too young to be a legend...but her achievements have truly earned it :) :) ...

7:57 pm - SG notices 6 plackards, reading 'S','H','R','E','Y','A' held by a group of her Twitter fans ...She couldn't quite see the R clearly, so she asked "Where's the R?" and then said "So you guys are the Twitter family" ..or something like that...I'm not sure ...I told you :) I was sitting in the farthest zone ..and the sound system was bad :)....I also wanted to carry a KG cardboard, with "I <3 you Shreya" written on it ...but dropped the idea, fearing it would get damaged in the rain ...

7:58 pm - Vasanthi was back and announced that the concert was for an old age home, by the Hiteshi Mahila Maneyangala Trust ...and called the ladies behind the trust on stage ...She also thanked the sponsors....

8:00 pm - The ladies, along with Shreya light the lamp ...and begin to sing a Bhajan...I bought a cup of noodles ...50 bucks gone :(

8:04 pm - The ladies still go on with the bhajan...the crowd gets impatient ...screams and claps so loudly that the ladies voices are drowned ....Well, I must admit that the ladies should not have taken so much time for the Bhajan, given that it was Shreya's concert and not theirs ...But I must also admit the way SG handled the situation here ...As the crowd raised their voices ...she gestured to us to clap along with the Bhajan...:) Wow! :)

But the unruly crowd was in no mood to listen to the bhajan ...and went overboard with the shouting, which forced the ladies to stop....

8:05 pm - Now this is another thing which impressed me...The ladies would've surely felt heartbroken after booing by the crowd ...Well, I've given some flop performances myself and I know how it feels when the crowd boos you applauds so that you stop ASAP...

SG however, handled this situation wonderfully :) She applauded the singers and said that the raaga in which the bhajan is ...is very difficult to sing ...:) :)...Wonderful gesture on n SG's part not to make the ladies feel small :) :)....She expressed her honor in performing this concert ...as she always wanted to do something for a noble cause ...

8:06 pm - She said "What do we sing?" and then began by saying "Jism is one of the most important movies in my life" and then started off with "Chalo ..tum ko lekar chale" ...The mixing was really bad ...The beats were dominating the song ...Of course, Shreya's high notes sounded AWESOME with the echo and all ...but her low notes were again lost due to bad sound effects ...

Well, those at the front might have heard it clearly ...but there were no speakers in the 500 zone ...so all one could hear in this zone was Shreya's high notes and claps from the audience ...The audience was RAGING WILD  !! The moment SG started off with "Aaa" itself, they started off with "Wooooooooo!" :D :D ...It's just amazing, how much of sheer joy SG brings to the audience !! :) :)...

8:10 pm - She began "Agar Tum Mil Jao" from "Zeher" ...and JUST LIKE how it was in Columbus...she raised the tempo towards the end :) at 8.13 pm ...pumping up the crowd with energy faster than an induction motor !! :)
Again ..same problem ...High notes - awesome ..Low notes- hardly audible ..this problem was there throughout the concert :(

8:14 pm - She was amazed the crowd's energy ..as was I ..I've attended many concerts in bangalore ...but NEVER...have I seen THIS MUCH energy from any crowd ...I dunno if the screams sounded louder because of the roofing ..but ..it was JUST MADNESS !! Trust me !! It was INSANE - the level of whistling, howling and hooting !! :) :)

SG said - "OMG !! kya baat hai Bangalore ! What have you all eaten today?!"

She then said - "This is one of the most important songs of my life" and then began with "Jadu hai nasha hai" ...WOW !! :) Awesomeness !! :) :) ...But again, a sound system glitch spoiled it a bit ..When SG went high, the mic shrillness sound was piercing the ear and just killed the song momentarily....But the way SG finished it was super-awesome :) :) ..This was the first high point of the concert :) :)...I nearly fell asleep...I was just lost :D

8:18 pm - SG said "This song is an ode to you all - the audience ...I say this in every concert of mine ..and I say the same thing now" ...and she began singing "Naa kuch poocho" ..before finally having the crowd go ballistic ...by arriving at "Tujh mein rab dikhta hai" ...It was just a few lines ...but the crowd clapped along throughout ...

8:22 pm - It was time for a duet ...She called on Shiv on stage ..and began "Teri Ore" :) ...This was really nice ..it was an EXACT REPLICA of what happened in the Columbus concert ...she did a sort of jugalbandi with the audience ...More than a duet with Shiv ..it was a duet with us :) ..we sang half the song along with SG...and it was wonderful !! :)

8:28 pm - It was time for "Tere mast mast do nain" ..from "Dabangg" ..I didn;t know this song ..Gautam helped me identify it ...Well, to be frank ...I didn't like the song much ...Of course, no doubting SG's singing :) ...Methinks Bollywood today is mainly surviving because of singers...because someone like SG can turn even a very average composition into a brilliant song by singing it :D ...At least in Kollywood, it is still the singers who need good music to survive ...whereas in Bollywood, to me, it seems like musicians compose songs keeping singers in mind ...and I see a lot of cases where 5 songs are made out of 1 hit song ...by retaining the rhythm or being inspired by the tune ...and so on .....it becomes a formula ...

8:31 pm - She sang another song from Dabangg..."Tune To" ..I wasn't familiar with the song ...but that doesn't mean the crowd wasn't :D ...the crowd clapped along to the beat ...amazing spirit by the crowd !! :)

8:34 pm - She sang a Kannada song "Naa ninagaagi" ...I must admit, being in Bangalore, I still hadn't heard this song ..because I hardly feel like listening to Kannada songs ....Over here too, there's more or less the same thing as Bollywood...a fresh, super-awesome song happens ...and there will be 10 other songs made out of the same song with the same singer ...formulaic stuff !!

Anyways ..this was awesome singing by SG ...I really felt that a Bangalore girl is trying to make her city proud on stage ..when I heard SG sing Kannada flawlessly :) :)....I just thought at this point - "For this itself, the crowd has gone wild like never before ...Just imagine for Chikni !! What would they do?! Where would they go?!" :D

8.39 pm - She then spoke about the craze for her Kannada songs ...which are being played on FM radio a lot in Bangalore...so much so that some of her friends have begun to learn Kannada, by listening to her songs ...or something like that ...

She then sang "Hoovina Baanadanthe" :) ...This one, I've heard ..it is awesome! :) ...SG once again was impeccable ...but the echo effect of the mic drowned her lyrics ...Otherwise...I would've been able to appreciate her rendition of Kannada far better than how ever I am doing so now :)

8:45 pm - She then sang "Shukran Allah" :) ...A song which doesn't quite appeal to me ( I told you ..my taste is weird :) ) ...But yeah, the crowd was loving it as ever !! :)

8:50 pm - Vasanthi made her entry back for an important announcement ...A red Maruti car was blocking the car of a couple who had to rush their son who was critically ill ...So yeah ..I hope the boy is safe !!!
SG too, said the same thing then ..and then she said - "Ab thode masti karte hain"...and then suddenly began "Yeh Ishq Haaye" ...

This is when I WOKE UP and screamed like a mad dog !! :D :D ...So far, I watched in amazement how the crowd was intoxicated with the energy radiated by SG and I was busy appreciating that ...but this is when I woke up ...and this song struck me more powerfully than the lightning outside would have :D ..

OH MAN !! THIS WAS UNBELIEVABLY BRILLIANT !! :) :) :) :) ...THIS IS ONE OF THOSE RARE SONGS WHICH HAS LIFE IN EVERY SECOND OF IT ...THIS IS A SONG WHICH RESUSCITATES YOU WHEN YOU FEEL DEAD  !!! AND THIS WAS MORE OR LESS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME ...WHEN SG BELTED THIS ONE EFFORTLESSLY !! :) :)

WOW !! The crowd was more than glad to scream "Oh Rama" as SG pointed the mic towards us !! :) :)

8:57 pm - People started screaming for Chikni Chameli and Ooh La la ...SG sighed jokingly and said - "OMG ! Meri life barbaad ho gayi ...ever since these 2 songs have come...please wait till the end "

8:58 pm - FINALLY ....Then came a part of the concert was SO EAGERLY LOOKING FWD TO ...
She began with "Ami je tomar" / "Mere Dholna"...I still remember how it felt in Columbus to listen to her sing this - a closed auditorium with amazing acoustics ...The resonance of this song was UNBELIEVABLE...it really put people into a trance !! :)

She began singing this in all brilliance :) ...I JUST COULDN'T WAIT FOR HER TO GET TO THE "NI SA.... NI SA NI SA NI SA NI SA" swara :D :D ....and finally when she DID get to it ....THE CROWD WAS LOUDER THAN HER !!! All I could hear was only whistles ...and howls :) :)

You know, with the kinda noise that people made...SG could've even sung drunk !!!!!!!!!...and still people wouldn't have been able to make out !!! :) There's another thing I've mention here - One hour over and SG had still not drunk even a DROP of water !!!!! Man !!! How does she do that?! :-O

This was more of a high-energy concert ...than a musical concert ....Most concerts I've been to, have had people who've allowed the music and the performances to soak themselves in it ...but this one ..I really dunno ...I guess the crowd must have had an extremely frustrating work week that all they wanted to do ..was scream themselves out and turn this into a scream fest !! :D ...That's what it was !! :) :) ...

So yeah ...may be it was done on purpose ...that the rhythm volume was kept a lot higher than any of the other instruments ....and that's why may be SG's mic had too much echo as well ...to make up for the less audible music ...

INTERVAL

9:03 pm - She finally took a break ...and said that she'd be back with more ...Another fashion show happened ...

9:19 pm - "Kalasala" from Osthi played....I was the first one to howl :D ...I was even ready to get up and dance ...TR paatu naa summa va? :D :P

9:22 pm - Shiv was back on stage ...He said here's part 2 of the show ...and he began singing Jhoom Barabar Jhoom ...It is amazing you know ...I realized that the music of today just reflects the society we live in today ...The world is so fast-paced ...and the music too, is just reflective of it ...All people want these days to beat stress is to dance to some fast, pounding rhythms ...and that's what this was like ....People were enjoying all the fast songs ..Shiv was accompanied by dancers as well ..

9.27 pm - He shifted to "Mast Kalandar" from "Heyy Baby"...

9:28 pm - He finished it with "Nagaada" ....

SHREYA RETURNS

9:29 pm - SG was back with "Barso Re" this time :) ...WOW !! AGAIN ...SAME THING as in Columbus :) ...This seems to have become SG's post-interval entry song :) ...SG was in black this time ...and I don't want to sound like some indecent rowdy here ...but she really looked hot !! :D

So far, SG was flawless :) ...You know, some creations of God are just SO perfect ...that you sometimes tend to feel the urge to find mistakes in them ...:) ...SG is one such creation !! Be it her looks or her singing or her versatility or her plain humility and nature, there's almost always NOTHING flawed about any !! :) :) ...
So yeah...with this stupid urge, I finally found one mistake she did in this song - She missed a beat when it came to singing "Gili gili gili haa" ..and then kinda bungled up the lines of the 1st 2 preceding lyrics :) ...but like I said, no one in the crowd would've noticed it ...as this, for them, was an energy concert ...all that mattered was a loud, thumping, pounding beat :) ...I'm not sure if people noticed that the chorus portion of this one was prerecorded ...and SG was lip-syncing ...I made out because SG pointed the mic towards us during the chorus when a voice was still singing it :) ...But yeah, SG sang the end-note harmony along with the chorus :)...

So SG, is after all, human ....she isn't always perfect :)
But still ...A GOD-LIKE human indeed !! :D To be perfect even ALMOST all the time ?!!!!! - Who can POSSIBLY achieve as much as she has, at this age?! :) MY GOD !! :) :)

9:35 pm - She thanked all her fans even the ones on Twitter ...for supporting her always ..and then began "Zoobi Doobi" ...with dancers holding umbrellas behind and dancing ...This was an awesome performance as well :) The audience loved it ...and could be seen dancing at the very end of our zone ...something they would go on to do right till the end of our show ...SG applauded the dancers for their contribution ...A true artist always respects his/her co-performers :) ...and that's EXACTLY what SG did :)

9:40 pm - She then described this one has her foray into item songs ..called on Shiv ...and began singing "Hoth Raseele" from "Welcome" ....after which at 9.44 pm, she suddenly changed gears to Rang Barse ..and at 9:47 pm to Paan Banaaraswaala ...This was then the number of people who moved to the dancing area increased ...and the dance just got madder and crazier !!!!!! PEOPLE WERE INTOXICATED,  INEBRIATED WITHOUT CONSUMING ANYTHING - JUST SG'S MAGIC !!!! :D 

9:48 pm - Just when I thought the crowd cannot get more insane and ridiculously crazier than this ...I was proved wrong !!!!!!!!! SG began to sing, in her own words "the dirty song" - "Ooh la la" ...and THERE WAS A CALAMITY ....FORGET RAIN, LIGHTNING, EARTHQUAKE AND OTHER THINGS ...

"SG FEVER HITS BANGALORE, OVER 1500 PEOPLE FEARED DRIVEN TOTALLY CRAZY" SHOULD BE THE BREAKING NEWS FLASHED ON TV CHANNELS AND NEWSPAPERS !!!!

MY GOODNESS !!!!!!!! I REALLY DON'T THINK THE CROWD WOULD'VE SCREAMED AND LOST THEMSELVES IN THIS INSANITY EVEN IF VIDYA BALAN DANCED RIGHT THERE !!!!

I wanted to dance but was just taken aback by SHOCK ...at the way people responded and THE SHEER DELIGHT which SG brought to them ....I'm not sure if yesterday's crowd would love their own wives or girlfriends this much :D :D ....BUT ONE THING IS SURE - THEY JUST LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE SHREYA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....AND JUST CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF HER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

MAN !!!!!!!! NO WONDER PEOPLE UNANIMOUSLY SHOUTED "ONCE MORE" FOR THIS ONE ...AND THEN, at 9:54 pm, when it happened ....THE DANCING JUST GOT EVEN CRAZIER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kids, aunties, couples ...WHAT NOT !!! :D ..EVERYBODY HAD MADE THE ZONE INTO A DANCE FLOOR !!!!

I was just sitting and staring all around me ...I WAS IN THE CENTER OF INSANITY AT ITS EXTREME !! :D :D ...

There were unanimous shouts of Chikni Chameli ...SG said - "There's no hurry yaar ...that's at the end ...do you guys wanna go home?" ...people shouted "No" !! :)

9.57 pm - She began Mano Murthy's greatest composition till date - "Araluthiruva" ..the female version of "Anisuthidhe"....The crowd went ballistic again....Why wouldn't they ???...It was THEIR song....It is EASILY, THE BEST KANNADA SONG of the 2000-2010 decade...The mic problem persisted with the low-note lyrics getting drowned by the echo ...

At least for melodious ones...the mixing could have been better and they could have let the music and SG's voice take prominence over the rhythm...Nevertheless, just to give you an idea of how famous this song is - My friend Adwait, who is Marathi...learnt this song on his keyboard just to play to his friends....and my friend Gautam who doesn't know a bit of Kannada ....was singing this song along ...HELL !! I DIDN'T KNOW IT PROPERLY ...but people from other states do !! :) So that's what's this song is about ...and SG gave Bangalore TOTALLY its money's worth ...with THIS SONG ALONE !! :) :)  She even praised Mano Murthy as one of the greatest composers she's worked with ...

10.02 pm - She began "Tere Liye" from "Prince" ...slowly ..and then changed tempo to an insane speed ...Needless to ask...the crowd continued its frenzied dance ..

YOU KNOW WHAT ...THERE'S SOMETHING WEIRD ABOUT SG ....ONE WOULD EXPECT PEOPLE TO GET TIRED AFTER BELTING HIGH-ENERGY SONGS ...BUT SG WAS JUST BELTING THE NEXT ONE WITH RENEWED VIGOR AS IF THE PREVIOUS ONE WAS A WARM-UP !!!!!!!!!!1 

SAME THING WITH THE CROWD ...ONE WOULD EXPECT THEM TO CALM DOWN A LITTLE ..BUT NO !!!! THE INSANITY WAS JUST INCREASING ...

My friend Gautam left at this point ...he said he had to travel far to reach home ...

10.05 pm - She sang "Yeh tera mera milna" from "Aap ka suroor" ...I'm a die-hard Himesh Reshammiya "fan" :P :P :P ...So that's how I know this song ...and shifted to "Bring it on"...

10:07 pm - She sang "Tumne jo maine dekha" ...awesome :) ...This too, was sung in Columbus :) brought a smile on my face :)

10:09 pm - She sang the title song of Salaam-e-ishq...

10:10 pm - She shifted to the title track of Om Shanti Om ...people began to slowly leave the area ..as it was getting late ...But that didn't stop the dancers from dancing ...

That didn't stop hot girls from putting their hands up and saying "Om shanti om" :)
Nor did it stop cool boys from making some noise and saying "Om shanti om" :)

The dancing crowd went a step crazier with this one ...

10:15 pm - She asked people who were shouting "Chikni" i.e. all of us :P ..to wait ...and then asked for a glass of water ...

10:16 pm - She then realized that she was running short of time ....and began to sing "Saibo" ...the dancing crowd began moving their hands like pendulums, upwards though ...car-wipers would be a better world, no? :P

10:20 pm - She told the audience - Aap hi meri saibo hain ...

AND THEN BEGAN WHAT EVERYONE HAD BEEN WAITING FOR ALL ALONG - THE MOTHER OF ALL ITEM SONGS !!!!!!!!

CHIKNI CHAMELI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW !!!!!!!! YOU KNOW, IF IT HAD BEEN AN OPEN-ROOF CONCERT ...PEOPLE WOULD'VE STILL SAID - "SCREW THE RAIN" ...AND WOULD HAVE CONTINUED DANCING....

NO ONE NOTICED SG SINGING THIS SONG !!!!!!!!!! EXCEPT THE CAMERAMEN AND PRESS MEN MAY BE ....... EVERYONE IN THE AUDIENCE HEADED TO THE DANCING AREAS ....EVERY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KIDS, BOYS, GIRLS, AUNTIES, UNCLES, GRANNIES ( I AM NOT JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) ....EVERYONE WAS DANCING LIKE NO ONE IS WATCHING THEM !!!!!!!!!! 

YOU KNOW, IF SG HAD SUNG EVEN LATIN OR FRENCH WITH THE WORDS "CHIKNI CHAMELI" IN BETWEEN ....NO ONE WOULD'VE NOTICED !!!!!!!!!!!!! 


EVERYONE WAS BUSY DANCING AND DRIVEN TO THE BRINK OF INSANITY ...LIKE THEY'VE NEVER DANCED BEFORE IN LIFE !!!!!!!!!

Well ...how else do I describe it?? If a man has starved for one week ...and if you give him a buffet lunch at the Taj ...how will he feel ??!!!! THIS WAS LIKE THAT I GUESS !!!!!!!!! I DUNNO ....MAN !!!!!!!!!

I SERIOUSLY DUNNO HOW TO DESCRIBE WHAT SG STIRRED UP WITH THIS SONG !!!!!!! SO I BETTER NOT :) 

10:25 pm - THE END :)

Vasanthi came in and asked SG - " You've toured the world ...you've even been awarded an Ohio citizen award" ( I HOWLED FOR THIS !! I WAS THERE !! ::D :D YAY !! :P )...."What do you think of the audience in Bangalore?" ...

SG  said - "I dunno if you want more of me Bangalore ...but I certainly want more of you!! So please keep calling me here ...and I'll only be happy to perform here ...You all have showered me with so much love ..and the only way I can repay you back is by entertaining you all "...

and then thanked all her musicians ...

"Bairi Piya" and "Dola re" were missed ...and SG should have sung AT LEAST ONE Tamil song ..considering the Tam population is Bangalore is more than that of some Tamil Nadu towns itself !!! :D

But its ok...I didn't miss anything :P I've heard them in Columbus :D ....

WHEW !!!! :)

I hope I have been able to do SOME JUSTICE AT LEAST...to how the concert was ..with this "book" :) ...Beyond this, I really can't :) ...You REALLY HAVE TO attend her concert to experience it yourself :) ...

THANK YOU S.G....YOU SUCCEEDED IN SHOWING ME A SIDE OF MY OWN CITY PEOPLE, WHICH I NEVER KNEW EXISTED !!!!! :) :) :) 

BANGALORE MAY NOT LOVE ITS OWN SELF ...BUT IT SURE LOVES YOU SG  :) ..LIKE, A LOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ...AS YOU'VE SEEN !!!

So yeah ...YOU KNOW, EVEN IF YOU KEEP PERFORMING HERE EVERY WEEK ...NO ONE WILL EVER GET BORED ...THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN ..AND WILL ONLY GET BETTER AND BETTER !!!!!!!!! :)

and to yesterday's audience - TAKE A BOW PEOPLE !! :) :) You guys TRULY BROUGHT OUT the spirit of Bangalore !!!!!!!! :) :) ...

Cheers,
TO ALL THOSE WHO SUCCESSFULLY FINISHED READING THIS - YOU GUYS DESERVE AN AWARD TOO !! ::D :D ....FOR HAVING SURVIVED THIS MUCH !! :D 

Ashwin :)










































No comments: