Me on FB

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik concert @ Golden Grand complex, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore on April 21st, 2012: Review / Experience

This is not a blog post ...It is literally a book ...So please read it only if you have a few hours' time to spare :D....

This post extends to a mile ... I'm not kidding :D 

For those of you who have read my blog posts ...this one's probably longer than any of the others :D 



For those of you who are new to my blogs - Welcome to INSANITY !! :D ...you wouldn't've seen such UNRULY SCRIBBLING anywhere else !! :D :D


To go straight-away to the concert review, please scroll down to "The concert" section ...Until then, it is just a general post ..with my thoughts and ramblings about music ...


Well ..what do I say ..where do I begin ? Words come easily to me...but on this occasion, I'm so spellbound that I have to put in a little bit of effort to write something ...I've not been THIS transfixed in a long time (apart from seeing a magnificent birthday gift for my 25th birthday...from my dearest friends) ...Nevertheless, I've done this for AR Rahman, I've done this for Yuvan Shankar Raja ...I've done this for my most favorite Harris Jayaraj ...and it is only fair that I show my appreciation and value for these 2 legends too...Through this blog post, I hope I manage to convey at least an iota of how much I loved this concert ...because even the choicest of words will not even remotely do 100% justice to how good it actually was :) :) ...So here I go on another blog post writing journey ...

The excitement / How it all began:



It all began when I saw an ad on the newspaper...A concert by Kumar Sanu and Alkya Yagnik in Bangalore! WOW !!! REALLY ??? My heart suddenly skipped a beat ...I then checked out the ticket prices - 1000,1500,2000. My face drooped a little. 1000? I was now in 2 minds, whether to go or not. Well, I'm not too rich a guy :) + I'm currently on economy mode...so if you find me acting miserly ..don't be surprised :) ..But then, when I checked the prices on bookmyshow, there were tickets available for 500 !! YIIIPEEEEE !! :D Ok now, there was NO FREAKING WAY ON EARTH that I was gonna miss this one :D :D ...In hindsight, I now think that even if I ended up paying 5000 for this one, it would've been well worth it! There's no joy in earning money if it is not well-spent :) hai ki nahin?? :)  ...Ok, pardon the "scene-podara mokkaiyaana" Hindi usage :D :P ...Alka and Sanu spoke and sang only in Hindi...and I told you...I'm still SOAKED in that era, that atmosphere! :D


So yes, I bought a ticket for myself ...I was gonna go alone :) ...I almost always go to concerts alone :)...and yes, there began the excitement :D :D ...I was SO looking forward to this :) ...This was the first time I was gonna see Kumar Sanu live ...and as for Alka, the 2nd time ...I had seen her sing "Mehndi hai" at the AR Rahman concert, Bangalore, in 2005....

As with any concert, I made up my own "expectation list" ...of what songs could possibly be performed ...what songs HAVE TO be performed at any cost ...As I had to regress my mind back by nearly 2 decades, the ones that came off the top of my head were "Yeh kaali kaali aankhen", "Baazigar", "Jaati hoon main", "Ladki badi anjaani hai"....


WOW!!! How awesome it would be !!!! :) :) ...to relive all those glorious days again :) :) ...to feel the bliss of growing up once again :) :) ...My excitement was uncontrollable !! :) :) 

This news came in as a whiff of fresh air !!! :) :) :) 

Why? because, in my opinion...

Bollywood music these days is too claustrophobic:


Well ...I dunno if I've used the right word ...but really, it's at least the way I feel ....I guess that's mostly gotta do with the scripts being churned out these days ...People talk about Indian cinema coming of age etc etc....but look at the music !!! Tell me ONE movie in recent times where songs have had an IMPORTANT role to play in the movie !! NO !! 

Whether you make a gangster flick, or a romantic comedy or what not ( there are very rare exceptions too )...there seems to be a new set of rules these days for Bollywood music - 



  • Thou shalt always have a raunchy item number in every movie
  • Thou shalt always have a so-called wannabe "sufi" song in every movie, with some Urdu lyrics or Punjabi lyrics sprinkled here and there...
  • Even if thou employeth the very creative and innovative AR Rahman to score music, thou shalt make sure he does a Qawwali song....so much to the point that it begins to bug you ...
  • If it is a melody song, thou shalt always use Mohit Chauhan or Shreya Ghoshal ...


That's it...follow these rules...and you've cleared the music benchmark ....

Call me prejudiced ...but look at Tamil cinema ...you still have songs which are SOULFUL .. listen to songs of Harris Jayaraj....REAL MELODY....Yuvan Shankar Raja....G V Prakash....Show me ONE melodious song which any music director of Bollywood can do ..like these guys...

In Tamil cinema, most of the songs GEL AND BLEND with the movies ...and songs play a crucial role in attracting viewers...the lyrics too, speak to you ...

In Bollywood, movies these days ...are like stories mixed with pop albums ...there is a total disconnect between the songs and the movies...It's almost like...songs are there just for the heck of it.....So yeah, some of the MAIN reasons why I stopped admiring new-age Bollywood music is because of this stale, claustrophobic feeling I get ...NOTHING to touch my soul ...

Why the 90s shall always be GOLDEN to me:

Well, for any human being, the GOLDEN songs will always be the ones he grew up listening to ..My parents' generation will swear by Mohd. Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, SPB .....My brother's generation will swear by Udit Narayan, Kumar Sanu, Sonu Nigam, Alkya Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy ....My generation will probably swear by Shaan, KK, Sunidhi ..may be? ....and the next generation ...I guess Mohit Chauhan, Vishal Dadlani, Shreya Ghoshal ...

But yeah....coming to the music I grew up listening to, I have had 2 diverse tastes - In the 90s, I really swore by Hindi music - Anu Malik & AR Rahman...
From 2000 onwards, I have become a Harris Jayaraj disciple ...Harris' music has addicted me to such an extent that I really find it difficult to get out of his captivity ...I find his music resonating the most with my soul :) :) ...

So yeah...here are a few reasons why I feel the 90s are always PURE GOLD ...

1. Songs - Though most songs were repetitive in terms of the same tabla-dholak-strings based rhythms ...they DID touch your soul :)....

and as for the different ones ...Anu Malik, ignoring his copies...is A TRUE LEGEND ...I might be making a controversial statement here, but in my opinion, Anu Malik is AS GOOD AS AR Rahman when it comes to orchestration ...SIMPLY BRILLIANT !! 

2. Singers & Musicians - In the 90s, those who sang were TRUE legends ...there was hardly any technology used ...Just PURE, SIMPLE, BRILLIANT melodies and voices ...you can really feel THE CLASS AND THE SUBSTANCE, THE FEEL AND THE SOUL in each song ...Each song has a purpose, has a meaning and has something to say to you....Each song TOUCHES your soul, resonates with it ..and makes you feel the way you are supposed to ....

These days....with all the technology available ...any dog can sing....there are no lyrical standards these days...even a dog barking in front of a studio microphone will make wonderful lyrics and the video is sure to go viral ....songs needn't be sensible these days...there doesn't have to be any tune these days ...make sure you have Katrina Kaif shaking her hip to the dog's bark ....that's it - the song will be sung all over India...even if there's no tune in it ....Things are so easy these days !!! 

Same thing with music composition - Any dog can play with software and make music ...There is really no need to be trained...or learn the basics ...Don't you see me making music? :D :P ...


Jokes apart...what I meant was ...no music instruments are needed at all these days ...you can use software and make music as good as Hans Zimmer ....I still use a keyboard :) :) ...It adds at least SOME soul to songs...No software can generate the soulfulness added by natural instruments ...


Whereas ...singers of the 90s didn't have it easy ...they had to struggle their way to the top ...they are TRUE singers ...they are the TRUE legends...that's why I respect them ...Most of you these days may swear by Shreya Ghoshal, but for me, Alka Yagnik shall ALWAYS BE THE PERFECT PLAYBACK VOICE ....She is RIGHTFULLY called as Lata Mangeshkar's TRUE successor and it is Shreya's greatest honor that she is Alka's ...

In the 90s...if a song wasn't sung by Alka Yagnik ..it just wasn't a good song...and if it wasn't sung by Kumar Sanu or Udit Narayan ...it really didn't deserve to exist ...Such was the respect singers had those days...it is no wonder that they've almost sung up to 20,000 songs each....

3. Cassettes, Antakshari and Philips top 10:

This is probably the last reason why the 90s shall always be dear to people of my generation ....Those days, music was not easily available ....One had to go to the shop, buy cassettes...play it in the tape recorder...listen ...rewind...and play again :) ...

I was small then ...I would buy loads of cassettes ...and for those I didn't want to ...I would take them from my cousin, tape record the song on an empty cassette (Meltrack and Sony - most popular :D ). I still remember how cool I felt, when I recorded a song from one cassette to the other, with the song playing in ultra fast forward mode, with funny voices :D :D....When hit collections cassettes came, I used to jump ...Sometimes ...2 of my favorite songs would be on either side...Playing one song, turning the tape over and correctly playing the other favorite song ...AAH !!! :) :) BLISS !!!!!! :) :) :) ...

Listening to songs on a cassette had its own thrill :) :) ...No amount of Ipods or mp3 players can produce the same joy!! :) :) ...

We all play Antakshari ...for each letter....which songs do we sing ?? The latest chartbusters??  NO WAY !! We ALWAYS go back to the GOLDEN ERA..whenever it comes to Antakshari :D :D 

Ma - Mehndi laga ke rakhna ...Na - Nazar ke saamne ... Ya - Yeh kali kali aankhen ..Ta - Tujhe Dekha Toh yeh jaana sanam...CORRECT OR NOT?? :D :D ...

This is another reason why the songs are so dear to us :) :) ...In those days, there used to be picnics ...outings etc ...at all occasions, when a group of friends used to go out ...they would play antakshari during the journey and sing these songs.......these days, people put DVDs and watch movies on the small TVs inside the vehicles...

These days, we listen to the songs whenever and wherever we like ...In the bathroom, listen on ipod ...in the laptop ...listen using earphones ...

But those days, one didn't play tape-recorders 24/7 ...like how it is these days ....songs would be heard may be once a day ..or at the most, twice ....At other times, we would eagerly wait for TV shows ...like the MTV countdown ..Channel-V countdown ...Philips Top 10 ..superhit muqabla ...among others ....When our favorite songs used to come at #1, we would cheer wildly !! :D :D ...watching a favorite song on TV ...used to have its own thrills ...

IT IS OFTEN SAID ...AND PROVED COMPREHENSIVELY AGAIN - WE REALIZE THE VALUE OF THINGS ONLY WHEN THEY'RE NOT THERE ANYMORE !!!!!! :) :) HOW TRUE !! :) :) :)

So yes ...I decided I would make the most of this concert ....I realized this is a "NEVER BEFORE, MAY BE NEVER AGAIN" event ...and I HAD TO ATTEND IT at ANY COST !! :) :)


The Concert

FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO JUST WANT AN OVERVIEW, I'VE MENTIONED THE SONGS IN LARGE FONT ...SO THAT YOU CAN JUST SKIM THOUGH ...INSTEAD OF READING EVERY WORD :)

To those who have been reading all along - I'm sorry to have kept you all waiting :D ...but if you have even been reading until now, then I presume that you're either liking it or you're having extraordinary patience :D ...so I appreciate that ! :) :) thank you ..keep going !!


To those of you who have scrolled down to this section without reading the others - Don't be surprised if you feel I'm overtly appreciating the songs :)...


The show was scheduled at start at 7 pm ..So I left home at around 5.30 pm ...got caught for overspeeding ..ended up shelling out 300 :( ...Call it excitement or anxiety ...But yeah, I ended up reaching the venue at around 6.15 ...The parking lot was a bit far away from the venue ...I had assumed all along, that it was gonna be inside an auditorium ...but was pleasantly surprised to see it being an open-air event ...:) ...There was a view of the huge multi-storey constructions to the right ...and to the left ..was the metro-rail ...with all the workers having a free show from up there !! :) 

There were a few sound-checks going on ...Teri Chunariya...Ishq Kameena...Kaho Naa pyaar Hai among others ...

7.10 pm - An old man comes in, begins the show, tries to get the crowd to roar...but fails miserably ...He introduces RJ Rubina ...who would be hosting the show ...

She comes ...she calls upon Bali Brahmbhatt who would host the rest of the evening ....He introduces the musicians as the ones who were a part of the original songs too ...The musicians do an instrumental medley ..with the same songs as listed in the soundcheck......He also tries his best to make the crowd laugh...by cracking a few jokes ...and shayaris....He makes lame jokes about homosexuals...

7.32 pm - He finally introduces Kumar Sanu ...by mentioning his 5 consecutive Filmfare awards, his world record of recording 28 songs in a day ...his Padmashri award ...

Sanu began backstage ...by singing "Sason mein badi bekaraari" to a HUGEEEEE ROAR from the until-then silent crowd ...he began singing "Do Dil Mil Rahe hain" - WOW !!!!!! INSTANT, INSTANT BLISS :) :) ...INSTANT TIME-TRAVEL BACK TO THE 90s ...WHAT A SONG THIS IS !!!!!! BRILLIANT !!! 
WHAT A START !!!! ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY SET THE TONE FOR A TIMELESS, DREAMY EVENING ....

Sanu's voice sounded even more nasal live than on recorded ...but still ...he was the legend who gave nasal singing a cult status ..before, of course, Himesh Reshammiya disgraced it ....Anyways ...WHEW !! I would've left happily even if the concert were to stop after this 1 song itself ...ABSOLUTELY worth 500 Rupees :D :D...

7.37 pm - Sanu said - "Hum sab artist log ka ek ki khwahish hota hai - aap ke hosla" ...After trying twice, at the 3rd try, he was able to get the crowd roaring a bit ....

He started off - "Bas ik sanam chaahiye" ...to another howl from the crowd ...and began his timeless classic - "Sason ki zaroorat hai jaise" ...and just continued the momentum set by the brilliant start 

7.43 pm - He got the crowd moving again by asking us how many of us could whistle ...he then said - "Yeh sab chaahiye humko" ...It was ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF THE CONCERT..AND ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF ANY CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN TO ....AS SANU STARTED "OOOOOOOHHH...EK LADKI KO DEKHA TO AISA LAGA" ...

WOW !!! This was when I opened Twitter ..I HAD TO TWEET ABT THIS !! :D :D...I WAS GETTING TO SEE A LEGEND SING A TIMELESS CLASSIC FLAWLESSLY AND EXTRAORDINARILY....I WAS BEING TAKEN BACK IN TIME WITHOUT A TIME-MACHINE. !!!! 

WOW !!!!!!! THIS WAS SURELY ONE OF THE HIGHS OF THE CONCERT !! 

PURE, GOLDEN, AWESOMENESS FROM SANU !!!!!!!! I'm really running short of words ..so please don't blame me ..if I become all Geeta Kapoor-ish and start saying "stupendo-fantabulo-mind blowing" and all sorts of crap like that :D :D :D....

He then narrated his experience of doing this song with Pancham da ...It seems Pancham da told him - "Sanu..yeh to bada hi romantic gaana hai ...aur tumhe gaana hai" ...and Sanu came the next day ..shabbily dressed and unshaven ...Pancham da told him to go back home ...and come clean ...Sanu asked him - "arre bhai ...kya farq padta hai ...aakhir gaana hi to gaa raha hoon"....to which Pancham da replied that it took him 2 months to do this song ...and he wanted Sanu to actually get into the feel of the song by dressing up smartly....SUCH WAS THE QUEST FOR PERFECTION !!!!!!! THAT IS WHY LEGENDS SHALL BE LEGENDS ....WHERE DO WE SEE SUCH DEDICATION AMONG TODAY'S ARTISTS ??!!!!! 

Also, it seems Pancham da told Sanu to get the "jaise" word different each time, as it repeats a lot in the song ...Sanu demonstrated the varied usage by singing that part again ...WOW !!!!! SOMETIMES, MORE THAN SONGS ...SUCH THINGS MAKE CONCERTS MUCH MORE AWESOME ...AS IN THIS CASE ...

He then made a joke about how all songs about looks are made only about ladkis ...and for ladke log, there are only songs like "Goli maar" from Satya ..which Sanu imitated :D hehe...

7.50 pm - Sanu continued "isi liye" ...and suddenly started off - "Sambhaala hain maine ..Bahut apne dil ko" ...WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody loves to revisit his childhood ..and WHAT BETTER WAY THAN TO LISTEN TO AND SING ALONG A SONG WHICH HE OR SHE HAD LIKED AT THE AGE OF 5 OR 6 ???!!!!! WOW !!!!! 

Sanu just sang the first few lines of this one...it was more like an unplugged version ...But his high notes were AWESOME !!!!!! IT FELT SO GOOD ...to listen to this one :) 

He then made a joke with Bali ...He asked him - "How many balls are there in an over?"
Bali - "6"
Sanu - "There's just one ball which is bowled 6 times" :D :D ...

7:52 pm - Sanu went a little ahead in time ..and started off "Chand Sitarey" from Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai ....

I remember what a sensation this movie had become when it released ....If it had released now ..it would've become a SUPER-FLOP....but yeah ..that was an era :) :) ...This was the movie which made Hrithik the superstar that he is ...and ended SRK's dominance ....The songs of this movie became a rage ...

Wonderfully rendered by Sanu :) 

He then told Bali the joke about the similarity between the Govt of India and the Mumbai Indians team.....

8:00 pm - He talked about his experience in Hum Aap Ke Hain Kaun ...where he was skeptical about singing one out of 14 songs ...but still managed to kick ass ...as he started off - "Aaj Humaare Dil Mein" ...


Wow!! :) Huge cheer from the crowd ...


Sanu then talked about remixes ...the good side being the fact that they make the younger generation aware of the older songs ...the bad side being the way they are shown ...

THEN CAME THE IRONY OF THE WHOLE CONCERT ....He imitated Himesh Reshammiya ..by singing Jhalak Dikhlaja ...and accused him of being a constipated singer !!!!!! 


MAN !! THE IRONY OF IT ALL !!!!!! :D :D :D  ....Sanu was the face of nasal singing before Reshammiya stormed in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D


8:07 pm - He sang a couple of lines of "Tu Hi Meri Zindagi" ...I don't know which song this was ...

8:08 pm - Aaja aaja ab kaisa sharmaana ..Dheere Dheere se ....No idea about this song either ...

8:09 pm - Mushkil Badi hai ...rasmein mohabbat ... No clue ...He switched over to "Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahin" which finally earned some cheers from the crowd ...

8:12 pm - Bali told the audience about how this song sung by Sanu ...cured a mentally affected boy in Switzerland ...

and Sanu began ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF THE EVENING...ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE AS WELL - KUCH NAA KAHO ...

Is performance ke baare mein ...main KUCH BHI NAHIN KAHOONGA ..:D ...
Naa kehna hi beithar hai ...kyunki kehne ke liye mere paas ek bhi shabd nahin hai !!! :D :D

NO WONDER ...THE CROWD GAVE SANU A STANDING OVATION FOR THIS ONE !!!!!!!!

8:15 pm - Sanu then said ..ab ek bhajan gaaoonga.....Before ...HE SUDDENLY AWESOMELY , OUT OF THE BLUE....SCREAMEDDDDD - "DEKHAAA JO TUJHE JAAANAMMMMM" .....

WOWWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST SPRANG OUT OF MY SEAT !!!!!!!!!!! THE WHOLE CROWD ROARED LIKE NEVER BEFORE !!!!! THIS WAS THE MOMENT I WAS PERSONALLY WAITING FOR !!!!!!!!!!!! 


By now you all might be thinking that I have a bipolar disorder :D :D ...Whatever !! :D :D 
IT WAS JUSTTTTTT LIKE THATTTTTTTT !!!!!!! IT WAS THATTTT AWESOME !! IT WAS THATTT EXTRAORDINARY ...


Sanu turned into a FULL-ON ROCKSTAR ...as he BELTED OUT "Yeh kaali kaali aankhen" !!!!!!!!!!! HELL, WHO WILL EVEN SAY THAT HE IS AN OLD LEGEND .....HE CAN GIVE ANY ROCK BAND A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY ...JUST WITH THIS STUNNING, MIND-BLOWING, BREATHTAKINGLY BRILLIANT PERFORMANCE !!!!!!!!!!

THIS VERY PERFORMANCE MADE MY DAY, WEEK ...AND MAY BE EVEN MONTH !!!!!!! :) :) :) :) I PRETTY MUCH HAD TEARS IN MY EYES ..AT THE END OF THIS SONG :D :D 

WHEW !!!!! DREAM COME TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I sang along ...moved along sitting on my chair itself :D ...I didn't wanna be the only one to dance !! :D :D

At the end, he said - "Yeh Shah Rukh swamiji ki bhajan hai" ..

Then came his piece of advice to aspiring artists - He said that he is an ardent follower of Kishore Kumar ...and said that there's no harm in following someone ...but apnapan toh hona hai ....agar apnapan nahi hai toh kuch nahi chalega...He then sang a few lines of "Jab koi baat bigad jaaye" ..followed by "Oh Hansini" ..and "Pyaar Diwana Hota Hai"...

8:28 pm - 


Sanu took a break ..RJ Rubina asked a question to the audience - "When you were 4 years old, what did you do??" ...before saying "This lady, at the age of 4 ...only used to sit next to a radio all day ....and wanted to be the next Lata Mangeshkar ...and it is no surprise that she has 17000 songs to her credit ...the queen of melody"...as she introduced THE LEGENDARY ALKA YAGNIK .....She was looking ravishing to say the least ....No one would have thought she looked middle-aged !!

She looked glittering ..like a young schoolgirl !!!!!!


Alka began - "Jaane wafa" ...the sad version of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai ...as she walked in to a thunderous applause ....and sang the title song of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai effortlessly ...

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's where you see the difference - a lot of artists sound awesome on the CD ....but not so refined on stage ...

But when Alka sang ...I really felt they were playing the song !!! WOW !!!!!!!! WHAT A VOICE !!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A LEGEND !!!!!!! WHAT A SINGER !!!!!!!! JUST PERFECT !!!!!!!!!

For people who grew up in the 90s ....SRK was the best and his movies were THE BEST love stories :D .....In fact, I began playing the keyboard by starting off with all SRK songs :D :D ....SO THIS SONG WAS SO ENDEARING TO ME !! :) :) :) :) ....I ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT !!!!!!! :) :) :)

WHAT A START BY ALKA !!!!!!

8:35 pm - Alka addressed the crowd ...she said "Bangalore ke log bade chuppe rustam hai" ...they know to dance and enjoy ...but don't do it ...unless you make them do it ...She also said - "feel free to request any song" ... I'VE BEEN TO SO MANY CONCERTS....BUT I'VE NEVER EVER SEEN THE ARTIST HIMSELF / HERSELF MENTIONING THIS ...

CLEARLY SHOWS WHAT A HUMBLE AND GOOD-NATURED PERSON SHE IS ...

The crowd ROARED ...as she started "Ghazab ka hai din" ... TIMELESS !!! PRICELESS !!!!!!!! ....I DUNNO ...IT LEFT ME BREATHLESS !!!! :D :D 

8:40 pm - She said "It's always a problem choosing my songs....itne saare gaane hai ...aap logon ne itna pyaar diya hai mujhe...I'll try my best to choose wisely" ...THERE YOU GO !!! NOT A HINT OF ARROGANCE ...NOT A HINT OF THAT "OHHH I'M A GREAT SINGER" ATTITUDE....NO WONDER SHE'S A LEGEND !!!!!!!!

She then sang "Lal dupatta" ...very well done :) ...I must admit I like this song more for Priyanka :D :P ...but no matter what song ...just listening to Alka's voice ...was like a soothing balm ...for all the headache caused by Bollywood music these days ...SUPERB !! :)


8:45 pm - After speaking in Bengali for a bit ...she then talked about a song which is very close to her heart...and how the lyrics talk about a way to live life ....

She then  BEAUTIFULLY sang "Panchi Nadiyaan" ...SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL !!! The crowd was trying to go grab food ...and moving around ..


I JUST LAY THERE ON MY SEAT ...LOST, DAZED ...TRANQUILIZED BY HER VOICE :) :) :) ...

8:52 pm - She asked all couples to hold hands ...and then belted out "You are my soniya" ...Wonderful effort by her to sing Sonu's part as well :) 


I remember what a rage this song became ...during my 10th standard in school ...In this one, I like the audio as well as the video :D :P ( Kareenaaaaaaaa !!! You're HAWTTTTTTT !!! :D *drooooooollllllll* ) :D :D


8:59 pm - The crowd screamed for "Mohini" ...she then told a shaayari about Shaadi ...after which she said that this song is not on the list ...but she would sing it because it was requested ...

She began - "Aisi deewaangiiii" ...THUNDEROUS HOWLS, WHISTLES AND APPLAUSE by the audience !!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::D :D  ...I WAS LOVING THIS CONCERT MORE AND MORE ....BY THE MINUTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS BECOMING A CHILD MORE AND MORE ...WITH EACH SONG !!!!! :D :D :D 

9:03 pm - There was another request for Mohini ...but she went ahead and sang "Tum Aaye Toh" ...I've never heard of this song ...

9:08 pm - She then asked the crowd to gear up to dance ...as she began "Bole Chudiyaan" ...She also danced a little ..for this one

Again ..this song was another HUGE craze ...during its release ...It's not everyday that you see 4-6 HUGE stars dancing in the same song ....AGAIN ...BRILLIANCE ALL OVER !!!!!!!!!!1

I didn't feel like it was a live performance ...It was like a playback !!!!!! PERFECTION INDEED BY ALKA !!!!!!! :) :) :)

9:14 pm - She began to sing "Ring ring ringa" from Slumdog Millionaire ...THIS WAS THE TURNING POINT ....HERE'S WHEN THE CONCERT SHIFTED FROM BEING A LIGHT MUSIC ONE ...TO A DANCE-FEST 

THE CROWD WENT MAD WITH THIS SONG ...AND THERE WAS DANCING ALL OVER !!!!!!!

MAN !!!!!! WHO SAID OUR GENERATION IS OLD ?!!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE STILL IN THE RECKONING, BABY !! WE CAN CLEARLY GIVE THESE TEENAGE DISCO-DANCERS A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY !! 

There was MADNESS ALL OVER ...WITH THE CROWD DANCING ...DUE TO ALKA'S AWESOMENESS :D :D 

She really turned into a rockstar with this song !!

9:20 pm - THIS WAS ALKA'S BEST SONG IN THE CONCERT ..

THE CROWD WHO WERE ALREADY DANCING ....WENT REALLY BALLISTIC ...AS ALKA BELTED OUT "Ek Do Teen" ...LIKE A TEENAGE ROCKSTAR !!!!!!!!

THE CROWD WERE UNCONTROLLABLE ...THERE WAS MAD DANCING ALL OVER ...

Alka paused suddenly ...the crowd howled ...it never stopped !!! The crowd went on howling almost for a minute ..before she suddenly continued ...and ensured AWESOMENESS AND MADNESS AGAIN !!! :D :D

SHEILAS AND MUNNIS WOULD'VE HUNG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME ....HAD THEY WITNESSED THE PANDEMONIUM CAUSED BY THIS PERFORMANCE !!!!!!

IT WAS SO SO HEARTENING TO KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL STILL YOUNG AFTER ALL !!!!1 :D :D ...THE 90s MAGIC HASN'T FADED AFTER ALL !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Then came one of the best parts of the concert - no...this wasn't a song ...but THE FACT THAT THIS CONCERT WAS FOR THE "SAVE A MOTHER" CAUSE ...to reduce mortality due to childbirth ...Rubina said that every 14 minutes a mother dies due to childbirth complications ...A doctor from Chicago who is behind this cause ...spoke about how they've operated in 1000 villages...and reduced the mortality rate by 90% / 19% ( I couldn't hear this properly ) ...

IT FELT REALLY GOOD ...AND HEART-WARMING ...TO KNOW THAT EVERY SINGLE PENNY EARNED FROM THIS CONCERT ...WILL GO TO THIS CAUSE !! NOBLE INDEED !!!!!! :) :) 

9:43 pm - Bali Brahmbhatt filled in with a song "Tere bin jeena nahin" which got the crowd yawning ...

9:48 pm - He probably realized it soon ...so he belted out "Kem Che" and "Amma dekh" in quick succession which sent the crowd into a dancing frenzy again !! :) :)

9:54 pm - Alka and Sanu were back on stage ...Alka looked ravishing this time in red ...So yeah, they began with "Mera dil bhi kitna paagal hain" ...I have no clue about this song ..

10:01 pm - Alka covered her head with a red chunari ...after which Sanu promptly began - "Teri chunariyaan" ..to a huge roar from the crowd ....He stopped in the middle, saying "I can't sing teri yeh bindiyaan...because you have no bindi" ...which made Alka wear one ...and ensured that Sanu continued ...and the crowd cheered again :D 


10:06 pm - BAAZIGAR O BAAZIGAR !!!!!!!! WOWWWWWW !!!!!! :D :D 

THIS WAS ANOTHER MOMENT I HAD LONG BEEN WAITING FOR ....I BADLY WANTED THIS SONG TO BE PERFORMED ....AND THERE IT WAS !! 


AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME !!!!!! WHEW !!!!! :) :) 

I even saw a grandmother moving to this song ...I AM NOT KIDDING !!!!!! BRILLIANT !!!!!! :) :) 

10:11 pm - The crowd requested Sanu for another song from Aashiqui ..he said they would do it after this song ...as Alka began "Ghoonghat ki aad se dilbar ka" :) :) ....It ended in a high-tempo..high-octave fashion :) ...CLEARLY SHOWS THE MASTERY ...AND IMMACULATE CONTROL ...BOTH THE LEGENDS HAVE...OVER THEIR VOICES !! :) :) :)

WOW !! :D :D the first thing that came to my mind is antakshari ....this is usually the first song anyone sings when they get the letter "Ga" ....SUPERB STUFF !!! :)

10:17 pm - On popular demand ...Sanu sang a few lines of "Nazar ke saamne" ...and thanked Alka for joining him ..as this wasn't originally her song ...

10:20 pm - ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF THE CONCERT ....I REMEMBER HOW CRAZY I WAS ABOUT THE SONGS OF THIS MOVIE .....

PURE, LEGENDARY, GOLDEN STUFF ....THIS IS AN ALL TIME CLASSIC SONG ....

IT REALLY SENT ME INTO A TIZZY ....AS SANU AND ALKA CROONED "JO HAAL DIL KA"

Mera dil ka ..to aisa haal kiye hai un donon ne !!!!! :D :D ( Please pardon my unbearable Hindi mokkai :D :P )

10:24 pm - Sanu raised the tempo again ...by singing "Mujhse Shaadi Karogi" ...Good singing by both :) 

10:28 pm - They sang a song called "Dheere dheere pyaar ko" ..due to an audience request ...I've no clue about this song ...

10:30 pm - THEN CAME ANOTHER HUGE SCREAM, HOWL AND WHISTLE MOMENT ...as Sanu and Alka belted out THEIR BEST DUET OF THE EVENING - LADKI BADI ANJAANI HAI ...

SUPER-AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! 

THE BEST AND MOST ENDEARING PART WHEN SANU LOOKED AT ALKA AND SANG - "Dekho yeh pagli ..bilkul naa badli" ...and Alka did the same by singing "Ahaan yeh pagla ...bilkul na badla" :) :) :) :)

SO FREAKING TRUE !!!!!! THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED ONE BIT !!!!!! IT WAS JUST LIKE GOOD OLD TIMES ....CORRECTION ...AWESOME OLD TIMES !!!!! :D :D ...NO ....SUPER-AWESOME, UNBEATABLE OLD TIMES :D :D :D....

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

10:35 pm - They sang "Main tujhe chodke kahaan jaaoonga" and ended with "bye bye ....bye bye" ...

OH NO!! :( :( ...I was heartbroken ...I didn't see that coming !! :( :( ....Anyways ...the crowd stood up and applauded massively ....FOR THEY REALIZED THAT THEY HAD BEEN FORTUNATE AND LUCKY TO HAVE EXPERIENCED A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME BLISSFUL EVENT LIKE THIS ....


I was keenly looking forward to Tujhe Dekha, Mere Khwabon mein tu ...and another sensational hits ....

I had even dreamt of Alka walking away saying "Jaati hoon mein" and Sanu stopping her saying "Jaldi hain kya?" :) :) :) ....but that didn't happen !! :( :(


NEVER MIND !!!!!!!!! :) :)
IT WAS GOLDEN INDEED !!!!!!!! A GOLDEN EVENING WITH TWO GOLDEN LEGENDS CAME TO AN END ..AT THE GOLDEN GRAND COMPLEX....with the musicians playing Saare Jahaan se accha ..as the crowd left ...

THIS SHALL ALWAYS BE A GOLDEN EVENING IN MY LIFE ....I have these crazy, mostly impossible dreams of becoming a musician someday and making all these legends sing for me ....WELL, I AT LEAST CAME A MICROMETER CLOSE ...BY SEEING THEM IN REALITY !! :D :D :D  hehe

THANK YOU GOD ...FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL, UNFORGETTABLE DAY IN MY LIFE !! :) :) :)

I usually don't miss anyone in concerts. ..BUT TODAY, I REALLY MISSED YOU GUYS - VIJU, SUDHA ..ARUN & SRUTHI :) :) ....No one would've enjoyed this concert with me... more than you guys!! :D :D

THANK YOU KUMAR SANU AND ALKA YAGNIK ...FOR BRINGING US IRREPRESSIBLE, INSURMOUNTABLE HAPPINESS ...WITH ALL YOUR 30000 SONGS !! :) :) :)

YOU WILL FOREVER REMAIN LEGENDS :) 

and those of you who managed to survive this EXCRUCIATING blog-reading journey until here ...YOU ARE LEGENDS TOO !! :D :D :D....

Cheers,
Ashwin...








10 comments:

Tejaswi K.R said...

After having gone through your blog post, I can feel myself having gone back in time!!! The songs in 90's really had a soul of their own and that was probably why, they had the capacity to touch the souls of their listeners. The songs of today are not original compositions either..just that they are borrowed officially for huge sums (unlike in the past perhaps). The composers of today have failed miserably in providing a sense of nativity to a stolen tune, something which Anu Malik had mastered ; that they do not have an opportunity to do so, is a different matter altogether. The melodious tracks of Nadeem-Shravan or Jatin-Lalit, who used the talent of the 2 singers in question, besides Udit Narayan, are just memories today.
As for the cassettes, there was a time when we'd be very happy to boast of something as elementary (really???)as having bought one :)...and how can any of us forget the joy of opening the box of a newly bought cassette to check the "picture-poster" hidden inside ; longer the poster, happier the buyer :D :D :D
I am happy to learn that the song "Samhaala hai maine.." was sung by the legendary singer in yesterday's concert. There is another song in the movie "Sir" which goes as "Sun Sun Sun Barsaat ki Dhun Sunnnn", sung by him and for actor Naseeruddin Shah. It is a song which I still listen to :P

Ashwin S Kumar said...

very true da :)

Only people of our age group can understand the value of those songs :)

AmStar said...

I skimmed through your blog & noticed you have written passionately about the 90's & its Kings & Queens (Alka, KS, Udit). These guys are irreplaceable. I am a 90's fan as well. ALKA SHALL ALWAYS REMAIN THE QUEEN.

90'S was special simply because the music recording technology had improved! I consider it PERFECT blend of technology (CD, digital), Melody, Music Direction & Singers!

Bollywood now has lost it completely. With Himesh gone we now have Mika's & Wajid's to contend with. The music directors believe in "noise" more than subtlety of music. It only the likes of Shreya who are keeping the hope aliove for me that at least once in a while I will hear a fresh melody (something which was common & taken for granted in the 90s).

I am saving your blog post for evening reading at home.

Good work. 90s shall forever rock.

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thank u so much :) yeah, 90s is Gold ..Bollywood has just lost it now

AmStar said...

Ok I couldn't wait to read your blog & read the concert part right away. You took us right into the evening! But you should seriously consider toning down the use of CAPITAL letters as it is distracting to read if overused. Also the exclamation marks !!!! & smileys :D:D:D. (Remember what you wrote of Pancham da - "jaise")


I see that you are a true music fan & deeply enjoy it. So here is my friendly tip to you. Go through your post & mark all those songs to which you said "I have no clue". Then get them from "some place", put those on your music player & give them a listen. Trust me many of those are legendary hits of KS & Alka. You wont believe what you were missing. DO IT!

shafiqraja said...

dear Ashwin S Kumar.....

love to read your comments, i will defiantly in contact with you later coz am really very late right now... but you a perfect advice please join us on Dada's Great Lovers group.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/kumarsanulovers/

it will be honour for us to have a member like you on our forum.

shafiq raja

shafiqraja said...

great post dear, i want you to join us on a great kumar sanu lovers group link is bellow

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/kumarsanulovers/

shafiq raja

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thanks a lot :)

Vani Gill said...

Great collection .......I appreciate your great hard work........Play MP3 Hindi Songs Online

Sanchita Tiwari said...

The work which you have done in this blogspot is really appreciable. I can't describe in words how much i love this type of songs. Thanks for sharing.
Download Punjabi Songs | Punjabi Songs