Me on FB

Friday, January 13, 2012

Nanban v/s 3 idiots: all that you would probably want to know

Okay..Let me dive in straight to the crux of the matter - 3 idiots is A CLASSIC ..can be watched ANY NUMBER of times & enjoyed as much each time :) ...Nanban is purely a one-time watch...
I dunno..blame it on the fact that I've seen 3 idiots way too many times...OR..the fact that it is not for no reason, Bollywood's highest-grossing movie ever...3 idiots wins any day :)..



To put it very succinctly, AS A MOVIE, 3 idiots is ANY DAY, FAR, FAR BETTER...DON'T EVEN BOTHER OR ATTEMPT TO COMPARE :D ...but when it comes to the experience of watching in the theater, Nanban has the edge :)..

3 idiots is AWESOME ..Nanban is GOOD..:) Even though you've seen 3 idiots like every other day...I would still say...go watch Nanban ONCE in a SHADY, CREEPY theater ..(this is very important..mark my words..You will be terribly disappointed in a multiplex )..watch it in the most LOCAL theater ever...with hordes of Ilaya Thalapathi fans...& you will thank your stars you chose to watch the movie! :)

Ok...first of all....people who know me well / read my blog regularly, know that I am a staunch Ilaya Thalavali hater :D...When I heard that it was Vijay who was doing the remake...just like many shocked people all over the world...I could only say "Holy Ravioli !!!!!!!" & "facepalm!"...& when I heard SJ Suryah was gonna be a part of it too, my cousin Arun didn't know what to feel worse for: Vijay or Suryah! :D

MARK MY WORDS - I would've watched this movie IN THEATER ONLY under 2 circumstances:

1. If Shankar or Gautham Menon was directing the movie (forget the music director..even if they had done it with Srikanth Deva, I would've watched it!! )
2. If Harris Jayaraj was the music director (I wouldn't have cared even if Joe Stanley or Perarasu directed it :D ..I would've watched it solely for the songs & BGM ...I'm a Harris addict:) )

So director Shankar and Harris Jayaraj gave me 2 solid reasons to watch the movie First day :) :) ...& of course, the ever-dependable..the ever-awesome..the-ever dear Vijay theater, gave me the 3rd reason :) ...

A little about Vijay theater:

Ever since I moved to the Vijayanagar part of town, Vijay theater has been A REAL SAVIOR :)...It is quite unknown to many people...This is probably the ONLY theater in Bangalore, which is situated away from A ROAD :D ..It is located in front of what seems to be a drain covered with concrete slabs..like a staircase...so riding a bike on that road-like thing everyday..would be the easiest way of breaking your back :D ...& driving a car on that road...would be the cheapest way of experiencing Dubai's desert safari :D ..But it is not advisable to go by car...because there is no parking space for cars in the theater :D ...There's space ONLY for 2-wheelers & autos..:P ...So yeah..on one side of this road-like thing is the theater...on the opposite side is a small tributary of the drain...beside that is a slum...On the other side of the tributary is waste land..where you can have a glimpse of a lot of pigs & piglets or sheep...gorging themselves with all the garbage & filth..:)

So the crowd is generally: Me, if Sundar accompanies me, then him :P, the creepiest, shadiest drunkards & loafers you can find ( ok you can include me & Sundar also in this category itself! :P :D )...about 2-3 women (2 grandmas..may be 1 rural woman)..that's it!! Ticket rates are AWESOMELY cheap :) :) ...& so are the interval eats..:) ...Previously, I would watch every movie in Nataraj...But WITH AGE COMES LAZINESS :D ...& hence, Vijay theater it is! :D

Ok...that's it about the theater...let's get to reviewing!! :)

Story & direction:

3 idiots = Nanban

The story is A SCENE-TO-SCENE, FRAME-TO-FRAME, WAVEFORM-TO-WAVEFORM copy of 3 idiots :)...There have been ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES whatsoever...to the story...At some places, even the camera angles & costumes are the same :) ...Wise decision, Shankar...He did the right thing! First of all, with an unpredictable Ilaya Thalapathi at the helm of affairs ( By unpredictable, I mean, doing a non-action, feel-good movie isn't Vijay's cup of tea) ..Shankar would've got the biggest raps & drawn the most flak...had he tried something different & had it bombed...So it was probably better, after all ..to play safe!

So yes..take away the songs from the movie...& it SIMPLY DOES NOT feel like a Shankar movie AT ALL ! :)

Hero:

3 idiots >>>> Nanban :D

Ok ..don't tell me I'm being biased because I don't like Vijay ...But come on, you SIMPLY CANNOT compare Aamir Khan's performance with Vijay's :D ...Aamir was SUPERB in this movie...he redefined what was called a NATURAL PERFORMANCE :)...He just played his part SO EFFORTLESSLY :) ...He really LIVED his character of a cool dude..

Coming to Vijay ...though I would usually love to say Vijay sucks :P ...I must admit, he has done a very good job in this movie :) ...It is REALLY REFRESHING to see Vijay FINALLY, BREAK-FREE from mindless masala ...& do a feel-good movie without even a SINGLE fight-scene...He is very good in the emotional scenes...& more then Vijay, I definitely HAVE to admire Vijay's fans :) ...I mean, it just leaves you amazed..as to how even a single word uttered by him elicits & evokes SO MANY WHISTLES & HOWLS ...DEAFENING ONES !! :) ...So, Vijay fans in local theaters really make the movie a very good one-time watch! :) ....But he seems to have underplayed himself a lot ..& obviously, doesn't quite exude the same charm as Aamir...:) ....

Heroine:

3 idiots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nanban
:D

Illeana cannot act for nuts...Kareena is currently THE BEST actress in Bollywood, IMO...Not only does she look like a million bucks ( Zoobi Doobi .. my my!! !! :D :D) but has also delivered a performance NOTHING SHORT OF FABULOUS! ( esp. in the scene where she tells the story of her brother's death to her dad! )

But Illeana makes up for her lack of acting ...in "Ask Laska" & especially, in "Irukkana" !! BOY OH BOY OH BOY!! :D :D ( < drools excessively, tongue sticking out till the floor, dehydrates > :D )...Shankar, I forgive you solely because of "Irukkana"...

Mona Singh / Anuya

3 idiots > Nanban

Anuya is good ..but Mona Singh is SLIGHTLY better :)

Raju / Senthil:

3 idiots = Nanban :)

Sharman & Jiva have both acted their parts wonderfully well ...Sharman scores in the sentimental scenes...Jiva scores in the comedy scenes :)

Farhan / Venkat:

3 idiots >> Nanban

Srikanth's performance hardly has any impact ...Madhavan is again, A REAL NATURAL :) ...Srikanth leaves a little impact only in the scene where he tries to convince his father ..about his photography ambitions ...Other than that, his character doesn't really linger in your mind ...Madhavan as Farhan ..will always be fresh :) without any expiry date! :)

Virus:

3 idiots >>>>>>>> Nanban

Sathyaraj as a cranky professor is a good choice ...he is known to be a good actor...but he has underplayed his role!! Prakash Raj would've been a better option! Boman Irani's performance in 3 Idiots is really chanceless & impeccable (it was my favorite in the movie! ) ... Just his mere looks & eyes ooze strictness & discipline ...& his lisp dialogue delivery is pure brilliance!!!! One would really think Boman has a lisp in real life too!!! It is a character you would be scared of ...but not get irritated with ...:)

Sathyaraj hardly exudes any strictness ...His lisp dialogue delivery looks very made-up ...You get irritated with the character very soon ...He is neither scary, nor admirable...really disappoints!!
You would except a solid performance from a veteran, but somehow ..Sathyaraj & Shankar have got this one wrong...

Chatur / Srivatsan

3 idiots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nanban

Omi Vaidya's comic timing just cannot be matched :) ...Srivatsan just doesn't manage to evoke the same amount of laughter...

Music:

Ok ..I'm gonna go song by song for this one...

Behti Hawa Sa Tha Woh = En friend aa pola yaaru machan?

Ok ..In case of 3 idiots..more than a superstar ..it was a fabulous actor playing the role...So there was no need of any punch-packed intro song ...So Behti Hawa Sa Tha Woh is a wonderfully soft number, which talks about missing a dear friend ...& retains the mood throughout a song ...A very commendable job by Moitra..

But in Nanban..you really have a superstar at the center..more than an actor...so the intro song had to be punch-packed ( pallavi )...& at the same time, retain the sentiment of missing a dear friend (charanam) ...So Harris Jayaraj has done an AWESOME job with this one :) full marks ...Every appearance of the line "en friend ah pola yaaru machan?" evokes deafening whistles & howls all over! :)

All is well > Heartiley Battery

Ok ..For this one..I'm gonna give a SLIGHT edge to the Hindi version ..because the lyrics, although colloquial ..do make some sense :) ..In Heartiley Battery, some of the lines are too immature and don't make much sense! Beat-wise, both songs are awesome..Chorus-wise...both songs are too good :) ...Heartiley battery has good dance moves by Vijay..All is Well maintains the mood throughout ..I felt Heartiley battery loses some steam in the charanams...Nevertheless, an awesome song by Harris :) ..an awesomer one by Moitra :)

"Give Me Some Sunshine" > Endhan Kan Munney

Okay ..TUNE-WISE..PICTURIZATION-WISE...BOTH ARE AWESOME !!! Brilliant tunes by Moitra & Harris ....I give "Give me some sunshine" the SLIGHTEST of edges :) ..just because of the lyrics in the chorus :) - Give me some sunshine, give me some rain, give me another chance, I wanna grow up once again :) ...SUPERB! :)

"Zoobi Doobi" = Ask Laska

Okay ...Tune-wise ...Zoobi Doobi has got a very simple tune...and an extremely simplistic feel to it ...It's not too complicated ...Whereas, Ask Laska has got a super-awesome tune...It is, by far, one of Harris Jayaraj's BEST compositions till date...So tune-wise, I give it to Ask Laska...
Sonu & Shreya have done a brilliant job ...So have Vijay Prakash & Chinmayi :)

Zoobi Doobi scores over Ask Laska slightly in the video :P ...Sorry Shankar, I would rather shamelessly drool over a SUPERHOT Kareena dancing in rain :P ..than Vijay & Illeana in grandiloquent sets & colored trains...Ok, that sounds very lame :P ...Jokes apart, The video of Zoobi Doobi, though very simple..was out-of-the-world refreshing for its time :) ...But video-wise, Ask Laska ...is typical Shankar fare...the flowers remind you of "Kumari" from Anniyan...& the colored train gives a "Randakka" feel...the prince-princess stuff reminds you of "Vaaji Vaaji"...Illeana is HOT :P ...but Kareena is SUPERHOT :D

"Jaane Nahin Denge Tujhe" < Nalla Nanban

Ok ..Jaane Nahin has got a wonderful tune & it is one of the best-ever songs sung by Sonu Nigam...No other singer could've bought in the magic he did ...in this one ...Brilliant stuff by Moitra & Sonu ..

However, Nalla Nanban is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, Harris Jayaraj's BEST composition in recent times...EXTRAORDINARY !! :) So I will give it an edge over Jaane Nahin...:)

"Irukkaana"

I don't like the song...This song is MAINLY to focus on Illeana's enviable figure, titillate males ...& it has DONE EXACTLY THAT !! :D...She is at her hottest ever in this one :D...Like I said earlier, this song makes up for Illeana's no-acting show all along...:)

As an album, Nanban has a variety of singers..whereas 3 idiots seems to rely HEAVILY on Sonu Nigam..I would say both are equal ..& more importantly, living up to an album like 3 idiots isn't easy..I am sure I, at least, would never be able to live up to it if I were to compose..I will wilt..
Harris Jayaraj has done it! :) Kudos to him!

Background score

3 idiots <<<< Nanban

To the best of my memory, 3 idiots mostly had the instrumental versions or humming of the songs themselves...Nanban, in addition to different versions of the songs, did have 2-3 memorable pieces - especially the ones in the hospitals, the emotional scenes & then the trio's attack on Virus' house & the subsequent escape. BGM isn't Harris' best at all, but apt for the movie! :)

So that's it folks ...
1. Watch Nanban once, in a real local theater with Vijay fans at their peak of whistling & howling...and you won't be disappointed ! :)
2. Those who haven't watched 3 idiots will love this movie & watch it at least 3 times in theater I guess.
3 Those who see this movie in a multiplex..in a hospital-like silence ..are sure to fall asleep!

Cheers,
Ashwin

54 comments:

d said...

Dude, How much you were paid for this highly biased review. You are more Anti-Tamil (Tamil cinema) than critic.

Try not to be one-sided. If so, no one will see junk article

Ashwin S Kumar said...

"Dude, How much you were paid for this highly biased review."

LOL ..It would've been great if someone actually paid me for this :P

"You are more Anti-Tamil (Tamil cinema) than critic."

My blog is neither a pro-Hindi cinema or an anti Tamil-cinema blog..I write whatever I feel..& that's what I've written in this post too..

"Try not to be one-sided. If so, no one will see junk article"

Thanks for your valuable suggestion!

Aravind said...

3 idiots is a good film I agree to that but nanban is also equally good. Your point of view may hurt all vijay fans including me so don't be onesided.

Aravind said...

3 idiots is a good film.I agree to that but nanban is also equally good be sure that your words don't hurt any vijay fans including me so please don't be one-sided

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Well..first of all..thanks for your comment..

I can only say that I really do not intend to offend Vijay fans..I've just written my point of view!

I re-iterate:
3 idiots is awesome..Nanban is good..Nowhere am I saying in this blog post that Nanban is a bad film..right?

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Please read once again whatever I have mentioned about Vijay:

I must admit, he has done a very good job in this movie :) ...It is REALLY REFRESHING to see Vijay FINALLY, BREAK-FREE from mindless masala ...& do a feel-good movie without even a SINGLE fight-scene...He is very good in the emotional scenes...& more then Vijay, I definitely HAVE to admire Vijay's fans :) ...I mean, it just leaves you amazed..as to how even a single word uttered by him elicits & evokes SO MANY WHISTLES & HOWLS ...DEAFENING ONES !! :) ...So, Vijay fans in local theaters really make the movie a very good one-time watch! :)

manuhatetolove said...

Spot on review. I watched 3 Idiots 4 times, and Nanban on opening day. I felt 3 idiots was way better. Given its a remake movie, and directed by Shankar, I had high expectation. The only person whom i felt done better than 3 idiots character was Srikanth's strict father character. Other than that, none of the cast were comparable. Hence I agree with yr comparison of characters.

Someone asked how much u were paid for the biased review, i recommend the person to watch 3 idiots first even before he opens his mouth.

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Thanks :) Seriously, AT LEAST Madhavan should have replayed his role..

Ravi kumar said...

Hi Ashwin,

Excellent comparison. You are a very good analyst. I tell you frankly, I am a Tamilian. But I completely accept your points. I believe, as Actor Madhavan pointed out, History can be created only once. There is no point in creating remake movies especially, when the original movie has great actors like Aamir, sharman and madhavan.

Shankar should have made a conscious decision not to remake it.

Ravi kumar said...

I know little hindi, and I watched along with my other north indian friends. I just fell in love with 3 idiots. Coming to songs, I strongly feel, Harris is noway nearer to "Shantanu Moitra". "Behti Hawa sa tha wo". What a song? Musically the songs in nanban are no where near 3 idiots. I am a classical singer and I tell you openly, the music is below average.
Even other songs like, all is well and zoobi doobi are peppy and musically great.
I always welcome unbiased reviews. Who told you are biased. I wish, people who comment here u r biased should really go and watch 3 idiots, and consciously tell, which is better.

Ravi kumar
ravi.fma@gmail.com
ravikumarv.wordpress.com

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Thank you so much :)

Reg. music, well, I have to say that living up to a cult classic when it comes to a remake of it, is a Herculian task. In my opinion, AR Rahman himself couldn't live up to the roaring success of the tamil Ghajini music. Nobody even remembers a single song of Kanden, the Tamil version of Jab We Met, despite being composed by Vidyasagar, the man who gave us songs like Kaatrin Mozhi.

So, keeping that in mind + according to my own taste, I would say Harris Jayaraj has done a wonderful job. Though 3 idiots will always have a slight edge, I feel Nanban isn't by any means, a letdown :) Plus they are apt for the movie. Thanks once again for your comment! :)

Alagappan said...

One of the most biased reviews I've ever read. I am not a Vijay fan either. But still I liked the movie a lot. It is as good as 3 Idiots.

You must be a Aamir Khan worshiper to write such a review.

And staunch Harris fan?! Really?! Harris Jeyaraj is a good composer. But certainly not a great one. I was a fan of his early compositions in 12B, Minnale etc. But soon his compositions became too repetitive and lost its brilliance. The worst part was when he copied ARR's Couple's Retreat music for his Engeyum Kadhal.

Ashwin S Kumar said...

"One of the most biased reviews I've ever read. I am not a Vijay fan either. But still I liked the movie a lot. It is as good as 3 Idiots."

Well, that's your opinion ..this is mine! :)

"You must be a Aamir Khan worshiper to write such a review."

For the record, I am not an Aamir Khan worshipper..I am a fan..I like his acting in most movies..not all..I didn't like him in Ghajini..for example..n as far as 3 idiots is concerned, I think he's done a fabulous job..

"And staunch Harris fan?! Really?! Harris Jeyaraj is a good composer. But certainly not a great one."

Again, that's your opinion :) I'm a staunch fan!

"I was a fan of his early compositions in 12B, Minnale etc. But soon his compositions became too repetitive and lost its brilliance."

I agree with this to some extent, but his melodies are still the best IMO..

"The worst part was when he copied ARR's Couple's Retreat music for his Engeyum Kadhal."

Link please? I've not heard about this...

sushil.d.antony said...

ha ha ha frnds 3 idiots is grt movie bt dnt compare to tat nanban...becoz in tamil camera,visuals,direction,songs,acting is so fresh..if any one ask meabsolutely i'll tell nanban 1ly..

asimov said...

nice and fair comparison. even im tamilian, but still prefer 3 idiots which far more interesting with all the charracters.as my opnion, Vijay is big minuspoint for this movie, if compare to Amir Khan. Shankar should choose other actors instead of Vijay. Nanban is not meet the shankar movie quality. Keep it up ur great work Ashwin !!!

ananth raman said...

Hello friend .. I disagree 90% of what you stated up there because i think you already set your mind to 3 idiots before writing this post thats why its too much on the 3 idiots side ..anyway i respect the post for expressing your thoughts .. but i think nanban is a better version of 3 idiots :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Thank you :)

Well yes, I feel 3 idiots is better than Nanban in many ways...But yes, at the same time...I WILL NOT SAY Nanban is a bad movie...It is definitely a very good attempt...& a very nice movie too! :) I really liked Nanban!! :)

It's just that I like 3 idiots a lot more :)

Naresh said...

I Can't accept u'r words.. Nanban rocks always....

Naresh said...

I can't accept u'r comments dude..Nanban is really awesome movie....Vijay to rocks..

Ashwin S Kumar said...

@Naresh: fine! :D to each, his own! :)

@asimov: Sorry, your comment was marked as spam, no idea how! :|
I just noticed it & published it ..

Sorry for the late reply :) Nevertheless, thank u for ur kind words!! :)

Sharuk Irani said...

there is no need of a comparison here....
nanban is a remake version of 3 idiots..
as a remake shankar did his job very well..
i will also say that nanban is the first perfect remake movie in indian film history...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

"there is no need of a comparison here...."

u don't feel the need..that doesn't mean others don't like to share their thoughts on both versions :)

"nanban is a remake version of 3 idiots.."

yes

"as a remake shankar did his job very well.."

strongly agree !!

"i will also say that nanban is the first perfect remake movie in indian film history..."

it is a good remake..one of the very remakes which is not a letdown..but I wouldn't call it perfect! :)

Sharuk Irani said...

"but I wouldn't call it perfect!"

perfect means nothing more or less

mark my words..

did u watched the recently released remake films....

can u say any 1 movie which is a perfect 1

recent remakes: force, osthe, bodyguard etc...

each 1 spoiled its parent version.....

but shankar showed a full justice through Nanban....... :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

"recent remakes: force, osthe, bodyguard etc...

each 1 spoiled its parent version....."

yup..I absolutely agree!!

"but shankar showed a full justice through Nanban....... :)"

Yup..with the cast he had..he has done the best job possible!

Why I don't call it a perfect remake is because of the starcast - You may call me biased, but I honestly feel someone like Surya would've done as good a job as Aamir..& Madhavan should've been retained in the Tamil version too..

I'm not saying Vijay has done a bad job..I just feel Surya would've done more justice to the role..

Sharuk Irani said...

so PERFECT remake in ur words means it should be equal to the original version in all contexts.....

if so then i dont think even suriya can do that.....

aamir khan itself should be casted in nanban for making it a perfect 1 according to you...
aamir=aamir

if madhavan should've been retained then aamir also should be....

its a tamil movie and the actors done their job very well...

Suren said...

Hello ashwin.. It's your point of view... but you should understand how tough it will be to remake a successful film.. that too a film like 3 idiots.. no one will have that dare to take that decision..

But,shankar succeeded in recreating the 3 idiots magic in Tamil.. The Nanban team just wanted to convey that beutiful message to the tamil audiences with the same flavour. Only Shankar can do this..and he did it..

definitely Nanban succeeded in that... originals are always better that everyone knows..

In Tamilnadu, everybody knows the fact that 90% of the people don't know hindi.. they are the ones mainly targetted..

I had seen 3 idiots many times with subtitles since I know only little hindi.. but Nanban gave me the exact meaning of the entir story (for every dialouge)..

Vijay & Shankar proved that they can do anything.. even Aamirkhan admitted that Nanban is a better version...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

@Sharuk:

I said Madhavan should have been retained as he is a Tamil actor too..He could've done an awesome job..

But yes..I definitely agree that this is one of the best remakes ever! Most remakes are letdowns..this one surely is not!

@Suren:

"but you should understand how tough it will be to remake a successful film.. that too a film like 3 idiots.."

Oh yes! I agree...Shankar has done an awesome job!

I'm just saying that it could've been better with a better starcast..But for that, it is awesome..

Ravikumar said...

Very good comparison. I have seen Nanban in Vijay Theater which you have mentioned in this article. I am completely agree with you. I could have disappointed if I would have seen this movie without Vijay Fans whistle and sound. Vijay FANS also doing Harris job :) :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Thank u :)

Haha! Absolutely ..Vijay Theater ROCKS! :D Nothing like it ! :)

libra king said...

http://digg.com/news/entertainment/nanban_is_better_than_3_idiots_tells_3_idiots_director

Ashwin S Kumar said...

cool !! :)

That's his opinion!

This is mine :)

libra king said...

if so, take a film and then comment

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Lol..I don't need to..I have every right to say what I feel about movies..

Arun said...

Very Good Comparison buddy......
I agree that aamir is WAY better than vijay

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thank u :)

logesh said...

I can accept ur comment about both the films. but title song of 3idiots is not equal to title song of naban. actually the humming of that title song(3 idiots)rockzz in throughout the film. and the the theme of zoobi doobi aso helped to highlight the comedy scenes. boman irani's performance cannot be reached by sathyaraj. aamir khan expressed himself as an innovative engineering student. but vijay coudnt. ofcourse he performed well as an student but not as an innovative student. and voice of madhavan while recollecting the flashback is far superior than shrikanth

logesh said...

u r right. though the same story, something is missing in nanban while comparing to 3 idiots. and 3 idiots can b watchd any number of times but not nanban.

prabaharan said...

I havent watched nanban yet. but i since i loved 3 idiots and i watched it countless times. I somehow dont want to lose that feel. I can watch 3 idiots 100 more times. but i will not watch nanban. Meanwhile i dont even know hindi i watch it with subtitles. but the feel is good and i dont want to change it :)

Karthik said...

Look, Nanban was very unique in its own ways...And coming to Surya, would have sucked this role for sure...The role requires a great humour sense where vijay is better than surya..and remember it is for tamil version...and its nativity is a must where actors has done a perfect job...

And coming to theatre selection, Pls don blabber like watch in a local theatre and all those stuffs...Me living in Chennai and not a vijay fan, we guyz and lot more enjoyed this movie in multiplexes...Still many prefer to watch it in multiplexes...

When somebody is doing a good job, Please stop writing some non sense like this and tell that is ur opinion...for me and many its a perfect star cast and just admit all have done a great job to remain the momentum of 3 idiots...Pls don come out with the statement like star cast was bad and all those idiotic things...

And from the fact, u r a harris addict, shows ur worst taste / knowledge about cinema...He s one of the worst music director I have ever come across including NANBAN...HARRIS AND YUVAN are real copy cats and pls tell me if u find any originality in them...

Please have some knowledge on cinema and music before writing some good essays...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Haha ..I can only say the same thing again - I have the right to say whatever I feel about the movie ..& you are nobody to tell me what to write & what not to write :)

I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it ...& I feel you should be doing the same..as simple as that! :)

Karthik said...

Mr. Ashwin

I never bothered your comments. Its your blog and can express your thoughts on any movie but there should be some sense in it. Please restrict yourself from expressing your thoughts like WATCH IN A LOCAL THEATRE, which yourself should know is a sheer non - sense, when the movie is doing so good in multiplexes and lot of ppl enjoy too...Its almost degrading a movie my dear friend...Be sensible and responsible in your writings, tat is all I can say...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Ok ..I'm sorry ..now I get your point :) -

See ..Lemme make it clear ..I'm from Bangalore ...& in Bangalore, people in multiplexes are very silent...
but in local theaters ..it is awesome fun ..with people whistling & cheering..

That's what I meant :) I meant..it is more fun watching it in a local theater ..than in a multiplex...

I didn't mean to degrade it the way you said ..If that is how it looks like, then I'm sorry :) I really did not mean that ..

I just meant ..it is more fun watching it in such theaters! :) peace !!

Karthik said...

And a great joke is how can you disagree a fact...From your name, I can assume that you are a male...should I have any different thought on that...

Common man, I don mind what you think about the movie...Really your comment on THEATRE SELECTION is disastrous...Its totally against the fact, tat is where it made me to post my comment here...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

And a great joke is how can you disagree a fact ///

what fact?

From your name, I can assume that you are a male...should I have any different thought on that ///

Look, so far, I've been generous enough to allow your criticizing comments, because I accept criticism...But one more statement like this & I'll have to decline your comment...You can disagree how much ever you want..Don't get personal...Not good...

Common man, I don mind what you think about the movie...Really your comment on THEATRE SELECTION is disastrous...///

That's what you feel ..I stick to my stand - That theater is STILL THE BEST place in Bangalore ..to watch Nanban! If you disagree with it, fine :D ..I don't care! I loved watching the movie there & I will definitely recommend it to those in Bangalore who want to watch Nanban!
If you recommend other theaters...fine ..why don't you write a blog post about it...why are you asking me to change my view? :D

Its totally against the fact, tat is where it made me to post my comment here...///

I think you posted this without reading my previous comment...My recommendation of the theater is for Bangalore alone...Multiplexes in Bangalore are silent...Local theaters are where all the fun is...I'm not degrading the movie...I'm suggesting good places to watch the movie..that's all...I think you still didn't get my point...forget it

Karthik said...

Sorry mate, I din get any personal...I jus tried saying facts are facts(on theatre selection only)...

I am not marketing executive for any movie nor actor...Let me put an end here...

If ur writing has been clearly drafted, I would not haven thought to post a single word here...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

no prob! I'm sorry too, for not understanding ur point clearly then...I hope I've made my point clear :)cheers! peace!

Raj said...

Good one... Good research. I'm also vijay fan, but it didn't hurt me. The blog is not a anti tamil or biased. We know amir > vijay in many aspects. Obvious thing shdn't hurt much. I was glad to see vijay in this film. More over 3idiots is a point perfection. There is no place for improvement (like we say in appraisal meeting).
Thats why shankar didn't take risk.

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thanks :)

Balu R said...

I know its more than a year since you have posted this review but i just got to read it now while i was reading few other blogs of yours.
I don't have any particular comments on this particular movie comparison. However i am intrigued to know if there was ever a case where you actually found a remake better than original or remake's lead better than original because I think there is always a natural prejudice that things you see first sticks more deeply into your mind.

For example did you think salman in wanted or bodyguard better than vijay in pokkiri and kaavalan or aamir in ghajini better than surya in tamil version ?

I still remember many years back watching thotta sinunghi remake in hindi. Tamil had karthik and raghuvaran (in case you haven't watched) and hindi has shah rukh and salman !! Big stars but of course i felt they couldnt match up to the original. I still don't know if it is due to any prejudice i have(though i would like to think it is not so) or it was actually due to performances :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

@Balu -

You're right about the natural prejudice...I've hardly ever seen remakes better than the original...

But yeah, there's one case I can think of where I liked the movie better than the book - Kai Po Che

Jonathan Small said...

Excellent review Ashwin. I totally agree with you. But there is one thing. If someone has watched 3 Idiots before Nanban (like most people around the world including me), anyone would hate it. But if a person watched Nanban before 3 Idiots, "probably" they would have a different opinion. However, I doubt it. There is no bias in this review as Vijay fans allege. Tamil movies (or any movies) certainly are not immune to criticism. And this article has definitely drawn a good comparison of both the movies. 3 Idiots wins all the way. No doubt about it.

Marc Calloway said...

Excellent review, except jiiva, nobody performed up to the mark of the original roles in Hindi. Srikanth is worst of all, following by sathyan (omi is irreplacable). Looks like a spoof is what hurtening. For vijay fans, it was an excellent movie, but for neutral fan like me, it wasnt that much good. But one more mistake u did is BGM. Harris doesnt made that much good composing. To be frank, moitra of hindi version did more better than harris. Just accept. Overall 3 idiots maintains its originality.

Anup Behera said...

Is there anybody who did not cry while watching 3 idiots. scenes like "Jahaan Panna Tussi Great ho Tofa Qubool Karo" by Raju and Farhaan in front of Rancho and Piya. I watched Nanban today, All I can say, man, its not like 3 Idiots. How come you compare the characters of 3 idiots with these actors. This Nanban principal is nowhere close to Boman Irani. Mu god, pathetic acting by that fellow who tried to be Silencer. 3 idiot is an Epic. No remake can touch it. Mark my words.

Albert Einstien said...

hey dude!! i see lots of people getting sentimental here.. i liked ur review and though its year '15 i still like the movie 3 idiots and have watched it couple of times
no question about it!!
keep up good work and just to let u know ur review was true and unbiased.. mostly people either watch hindi or tamil.. ur among few those who can watch both.. lucky you!!