Me on FB

Friday, September 30, 2011

"FORCE the movie" REVIEW / EXPERIENCE

Scroll down for the actual review..unless you wanna read all my "mokkai" before that :P...

Sundar has specifically said "Don't write a blog for this one also da" ...I guess that's how tired people are of reading my blog posts...:D However, given my affinity towards irritating people...
I thought I will write this post :D ...

I was kinda disappointed yesterday, at the Chinnaswamy stadium, on not witnessing much of the highly-antipicated Gayle force...So I wanted some actual force today at least...& I have to say that while I'm not too satisfied with this one...it definitely didn't leave me disappointed :)

So yeah...Mankatha at INOX City Centre, Chennai...Johnny English Reborn at INOX JP Nagar Central...n now this one at Gopalan Innovation ..I've watched 3 movies in a row ALONE :)..I saw The Lion King 3d with my colleagues...but just before that..I saw Deiva Tirumagal too, alone :)...
As I've said umpteen times earlier, loafing around & doing "othla" alone is nothing new to me :)...but quite a few surprised people keep asking me - "How can you watch movies alone?!!" :)...I just tell them - "I'm used to it :) ..Just because people don't wanna come with me...Why should I give up on something I enjoy & want to do??" :)
It is my life, after all :) ..

Well, as everyone might be knowing ..Force is the remake of the EPIC Tamil blockbuster & the ideal cop story - "Kaaka Kaaka" ...The movie is an all-time classic because of EVERYONE associated with it having given their best -

  • be it the extraordinarily brilliant story, direction & overall presentation by the sheer genius of Goutham Menon, or
  • an impeccable & ever-lasting performance by Surya as Anbuchelvan...or
  • Jyothika having given one of the most dignified & memorable performances EVER by an actress & undoubtedly her best...
  • Or the surreal, out-of-the-world songs & the extremely thrilling goosebumps-giving ROCKING BGM by my God, Harris Jayaraj...
Let's face it ..to remake something AS CLASSIC AS this one ..takes guts ..and is DEFINITELY a HUGE ordeal...There have been VERY FEW cases of remakes being liked & being successful..and may be just 1 or 2 of them being even better than the original...
The problem when you watch a remake after watching the original is that, whether you like it or not, without any control, you will get sucked into the trap of comparing every scene of the remake with the original...
I felt Surya's Ghajini was a good movie...not excellent...But I saw Aamir's version & didn't like it at all...Though Aamir has done his role well, I got sucked into comparing him with Surya...Hardly anywhere in the movie has Aamir matched Surya's intensity...
Aamir's was more of an underplayed performance...

So, when I heard about the remake of Kaaka Kaaka, I saw that Harris Jayaraj himself was gonna do the music for the Hindi one as well...So it was an instant decision then, to watch this movie whenever it released...

People who know me know what a fanatic lunatic devotee of Harris I am :D ..so even if Harris gives music for a Bhojpuri or a Latin film...REST ASSURED I WILL WATCH IT ! :D

I saw the star cast...John Abraham & Genelia ..."Aiyo!" was the first thing which came to mind...At that very moment, I told myself - "okay Ashwin..please keep your expectations very low..neither of them can act :D...
So...it is gonna be disaster...But don't worry...Harris won't disappoint for sure :)"....
In my mind, I already visualized John in a banian throughout the movie, making it seem more like a Lux underwear aur banian advertisement than a cop thriller :D :D...
& I had assumed that Genelia in a school teacher's role, would drive all the children deaf & mentally crazy due to excessive giggling, screeching...If the school children weren't in uniform, one would've really thought Genelia to be a 6th standard school girl :D...
I then saw the trailer with the song "Khwabon khwabon" ..the Hindi version of "Uyirin uyire"...Thank God it is Javed Akhtar saab who has penned the lyrics...They're really good...
But the picturization sucked...In some places, it looked like an advertisement for Siyaram suitings! :D

But then came what I was looking forward to the most...the audio release...I heard the songs...and fell in love with them instantly :) typical of Harris songs...These songs were REALLY AWESOME...Vintage Harris ..the most soothing melodies you'll ever find...:)
I never stopped listening to them ever since the songs came out...but for a few small bloopers here & there, like Bombay Jayashree saying "saari jo baatein dil kehta hey" :D..the south Indian accent is way too evident over there...:D
The frequency reduced only with the release of the songs of Mayakkam Enna & 7am Arivu ...both ROCKING albums...

So yeah, I came to know that movie was releasing on Sept 30th..I was very happy...it was gonna be a double Harris treat for me :) ..with this movie and then his live concert...But my hopes were half-dashed..because the concert got postponed to Oct 8th...
So I booked tickets for this movie on bookmyshow in Gopalan Innovation Mall, as soon as the booking opened...I chose Gopalan Innovation Mall, because over there, along with the nachos, they give a cheese dip as well as Salsa :D :P & of course, because of Taco Bell :D (more nachos, yumm! :D )...Yup..I told you all in my Johnny English reborn review, that when I go to multiplexes, I'm sometimes more excited to eat the nachos over there ..than watching the movie itself :D :D...

It was a 4.55 pm show...I went in, ordered a nachos+pepsi combo...TO MY ROTTEN LUCK, the cheese dip wasn't there...it was just nachos+salsa! damn! Anyway...
Soon enough...the movie started...the credits rolled...I wanted to scream when "Music Director: Harris Jayaraj" appeared...but then decided against it :D...just like in INOX JP nagar, there were mostly couples all around who already were giving me odd stares which conveyed something like "What's this loser doing alone over here?!" ....
I must've got more stares than any hot chick in the theater, obviously not because of my looks :P (or may be!! they might've stared & said - eww! what are creeps doing here! :D)...but because I was alone :D...
So yeah...I didn't wanna scream out loud & have people reporting me for suspicious behavior :D :D...though within myself..I whistled !!! :P

THE REVIEW (SPOILER ALERT IF you haven't seen Kaaka Kaaka)

The first scene started with John soaked in blood...falling down from a cliff..climbing hard...& lying down flat...He's rushed to the hospital...& the first word he says is "Maya"...
Then comes Genelia ..with the "Main Chali" song...It is an awesome song, but only 1 minute of it was played...I was so disappointed !!! A wonderful song from enga aal Harris with so much of effort put in, only for this?!! A small fraction?! The song seemed to have ended even before it started !!
Genelia, THANKFULLY plays the role of an NGO worker...& not a teacher...Whew! But the non-stop chatter goes on as expected :D ...John is shown as an undercover cop busting drug rackets...
Their paths cross...& what follows is a scene to scene remake of Kaaka Kaaka..at least for the romance parts...Due credit to the bike-lifting scene though..Hats off to John for that !!!

The first half has less of action & more of romance...that's the sad part :D...Genelia's at her best when she is silent & speaks less :D :D ...otherwise, her expressions are OH-SO-ARTIFICIAL..and her non-stop chattering..my God !!!
I felt as irritated as I feel, whenever a mosquito flies near my ear..."AARGH !! SHUT UP!" was what came to my mind...& John's expressions are EVEN WORSE in the romantic parts !! :D My God !!! (Is that why Bipasha broke up with him? :P)
Even I would've probably given better expressions than him in the movie :P..Come on, me & John are similar :D :D :P...aren't we?? :D :D :P ...We're both single..We're both 6'4" :D :P...Ok ok..it ends there!! :P :P
I guess my body (excluding my bulging tummy :P) is as big as John's biceps...:D :D .
Ok..I'm kidding :)

But he JUST DOES NOT know to act ...The John-Genelia chemistry SUCKS...The pair looks so artificial in this movie...There's no real love...I'm sorry to compare...But Surya & Jyothika really DEFINED chemistry..in the original :)..

and Surya may not have had the physique as John does...but the majesty, might & seriousness which he lent to his role...cannot ever be replaced...
Surya in that movie ...REALLY SHOWED THE PASSION, RESPECT, PRIDE & LOVE HE HAD FOR BEING A COP...IN EVERY SINGLE FRAME...
Especially when Surya says "Inga block panni vechurkom...That's why we've put the barricades...It's late in the night..& you're with a girl by your side" & in the acid-throwing scene,
"Don't worry Roshni..be brave & remember to walk with your head held high"...Surya's EXPRESSIONS, DIALOGUE DELIVERY & HARRIS' PUNCH-PACKED BGM...REALLY GIVE YOU GOOSEBUMPS...
EVEN IF YOU WATCH IT TODAY !!!!

But John, on the other hand, looks more like a model or a wrestler who became a cop by accident...and is disappointed because of that...He delivers dialogues as if he is on the verge of forgetting them & impatiently wants to deliver them...
I can't help but hit my forehead and say "Ayyo Rama!" each time Genelia says "ACP sir!"...If I were John, I would run for cover, despite being an ACP!! :D :D :D ...

The delightful songs were the ONLY saving grace...however, they were badly picturized...& cut short way too much !!! It was a total disrespect to Harris...no wonder he doesn't do Hindi movies !!!!!!!!

Give Goutham Menon the same songs...He'll show you how to picturize them !!!!!!

Contrastingly...the 2nd half is really AWESOME...it is high-voltage action all the way & less romance...Here's where the movie gets REALLY GOOD...& THIS IS THE GOOD PART OF THE MOVIE...The newcomer villain Vidyut does an AWESOME job as Vishnu..He's bound to go a long way after this movie...
In fact, it looks like he's the ONLY person in the movie who has ACTUALLY acted :D :D...& he's done FULL justice to his role...I would say he is AS GOOD AS or may be even better than Jeevan as Pandya...

The BGMs by Harris are good ..but sadly, not as impacting as the ones in Kaaka Kaaka..because the latter is of such stature, it can really be taught as a chapter on how to make BGMs for a movie...

The action is raw..cold-blooded..n sometimes gory too...but really..it was AWESOME to see 2 macho-men beating the pulp out of each other..a real battle..a real contest...
The 2nd half ENTIRELY belongs to Vidyut...he carries it completely on his shoulders ...and takes it past the checkered flag with all honors :)...As for John, well...the action scenes require no major acting as such...so he's good here :D
But he's done the chasing scenes really well...& of course..the fight scenes are SUPER-AWESOME...considering it is 2 HUNKS who are fighting, I would say some of the fight scenes are better than Kaaka Kaaka too! :) :)

Finally, it ends up with Genelia being shot & dying in John's arms ...In the original, people actually tend to cry with Jyotika dies..& Surya is shocked to bits...
But in this one, even while dying, Genelia makes some horrible expression and tells some stupid joke...People would actually feel like saying "thank God she's gone!" :D..
Oh wait...she did look HAWT in the "Chaahon Bhi" song though ;) :P...I wouldn't've complained a bit if she was dressed like that throughout the movie :D :P

Well..that's it...I would say...it is definitely worth a watch ONCE...if you go in with the expectation that it is surely not as good as Kaaka Kaaka...John has worked very hard on his physique..credit to him for that...

& no matter, how scathing I might've been on Genelia..I must admit she's really good in the emotional scenes where she speaks softly...


Those kinda scenes bring out the best in her...I wonder when directors will stop giving her the usual screeching, giggling-like-a-little-teen roles...Vidyut steals the show...walks away with all honors...he's an awesome find !!
Harris Jayaraj : super-awesome songs...good BGM..but could've been a lot better...
Direction - it is good that the storyline wasn't tweaked too much from the original...however, the execution of the romance scenes would've been improved A LOT...

An IDEAL HINDI remake of this movie would be...Hrithik instead of Surya...because Hrithik, apart from being TOUGH...CAN ACT !!! and CAN ACT VERY VERY WELL !!!
Kareena instead of Jyotika...would've been an apt choice...because again, Kareena CAN act !!! The villain can be Vidyut :)...

It is definitely a good attempt ..Like I said, it takes guts to remake a movie of that stature...a good job has been done at it :) Nishikanth Kamath can take a pat on the back..:)
However, it could've been a lot better...John & Genelia, despite not being able to do complete justice...have put in a lot of effort..so credit to them for that...

All you gals who love John, this movie will be a treat for you...because John appears as if he is uncomfortable covering his sleeves even for a minute :D...

My rating: 3/5


BUT YES...NO ONE CAN EVER DENY...THAT ANBUCHELVAN'S MOUSTACHE SHALL ALWAYS BE MIGHTIER THAN YASHVARDHAN'S PHYSIQUE :)

No comments: