Me on FB

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"YOGI" MUSIC REVIEW & DALER MEHNDI - AN UNFORGETTABLE LEGEND

Well..Daler Mehndi's very much alive and kicking :)...But tributes don't necessarily have to be written only after a person is dead..do they? :)..

Anyways..these days..I'm really running out of things to write about..:)..I started off with a blog post about the movie Yogi (a 2009 Tamil movie starring Ameer)...and then realized..Wikipedia already has a well-written review about the movie :)..So, I dropped the idea of writing about that..

Well..I could've written about what I FELT about the movie..but that would've been a meager 3-4 lines..In fact, I can say it right now :) - a STRIKINGLY STARKLY DIFFERENT Tamil movie :)..with a hero who ACTUALLY ACTS well..a VERY VERY REALISTIC depiction..EVEN in the romantic parts..the heroine also ACTS, for a change..BRUTALLY AWESOME & RIVETING CLIMAX..:)

and coming to the 1st part of the post -
SCINTILLATING & ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT SONGS & BACKGROUND MUSIC by Yuvan in collaboration with Ustad Sultan Khan..:)...the movie's a little gross in some parts..But overall, an ABSOLUTE DELIGHT..It's such a pity that the movie flopped..but it WAS critically acclaimed..:)

1. Yogi yogi thaan - DO NOT MISS OUT listening to "Yogi yogi thaan" by Blaaze & Neha Bhasin (unfortunately not included in the film)..I PERSONALLY FEEL THIS IS ONE OF YUVAN'S ALL-TIME BEST songs...SURELY THE BEST OF Neha Bhasin.....I OH-SO-LOVE IT..when she sings

"vaazhkai hey
ivanathu paarvaiyil vaedikkaiyaagum
paavam hey
ivanathu kaNakkil varavugaL aagum
kaathal hey
ivanathu theerpil kanipOruL aagum
mounam hey
ivanathu ivanthu aayuL aagum "


WHAT A VOICE !!!!!!!! WHAT SINGING !!!!!! The hard-hitting beat PUMPS YOUR ADRENALIN LIKE NOTHING ELSE!!!!!
This track is SURELY better than MOST HOLLYWOOD OSTs YOU'LL FIND...
ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONGS....THIS EPITOMIZES "ROCKING"
This surely deserves a Grammy..


This song is called "Yaarodu yaaro"...but I think "MAGIC" will be a much better name...Because that's what Yuvan & Ustad Sultan Khan weave...Ustad Sultan Khan's MASTERY over the Saarangi, his touching vocals..and Yuvan's BRILLIANT Bass-chord arrangements & Yuvan's highly emotional rendition makes this ONE OF THE MOST TOUCHING SONGS EVER..
The video is EVEN better...it shows the transformation of Yogi from an emotionless rock..to one which JUST MELTS in the joy of a baby's company..:)..
I've lost count of the number of times Arun CS and I have played this song at our former residence in Columbus..:)..an absolute delight..

Brilliance of Ustad Sultan Khan unleashed..this comes as a BGM at many parts in the movie..
AWESOMENESS..

Yuvan is a GENIUS..

5. "Seermevum Koovathilley"
This song is best avoided...Unless you're in a drunken stupor, you really wouldn't wanna listen to this one..

6. "Yogi yogi thaan - 2"
Bad..The original is THE ONE which has to be listened to..this one is not good..

I think I'm done with what I had to say about Yogi..
I'll now move on to the 2nd part of the post - DALER MEHNDI..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I WAS A HUGE, HUGE fan of Daler Mehndi in the 90s...He literally RULED THE ROOST in the scene of Indian Pop Music..which has more or less become obsolete these days...I'm sure ANY INDIAN who was born in the 80s or early 90s would know who Daler Mehndi is...

Aah..I had gone to attend the Kailash Kher concert at Palace grounds today..Nice evening :)..I just came home..Anyways..back to typing this post..Daler was really a phenomenon..in the 90s..He was a household name..Even people in Chennai were dancing to his songs..

I recorded his songs from my cousin's cassette & soon enough, my mum bought a "Greatest Hits of Daler Mehndi" cassette which has THE BEST of all his songs..:)..

A cult classic...This one catapulted Daler to ..God knows where..He reached a level of stardom which very few other Indian pop stars have reached till date..An absolutely awesome song..with thumping Punjabi beats....Wonderful energy-levels

More of a pop song with a Punjabi touch...the energy levels aren't too high...but one can really hum this along...and move along to the music...It has got a good bass..

Another high-energy song...Daler's best songs have catchy phrases like "hayo rabba" in "Bolo ta ra ra ra" & "aahaan chiknak" in this one...Another awesome song with wonderful dance moves by Daler...I remember trying to practice Daler's moves as a kid :)

A proper pop song...a slow-paced one...yet, very catchy...wonderful stuff by Daler...

Probably Daler's slowest song till date...A wonderful melody...But Daler's voice doesn't suit such songs...Nevertheless, a very nice song...

One of Daler's most catchy songs...my 2nd most favorite song of Daler...the chorus is very nice :)...this is a proper pop song...and very likable :)...I LOVE this song :)..

FINALLY..THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL...THIS ONE'S AN EPIC SONG...I DON'T THINK THERE'S EVER BEEN A PUNJABI SONG WHICH IS GREATER THAN THIS....THIS ONE'S THE "NAKKU MUKKA" OF PUNJABI SONGS...

THE MOST PULSATING, THE MOST ENERGIZING, THE MOST EXHILARATING...WHATEVER...HATS OFF TO DALER..FOR COMING UP WITH SOMETHING EPIC LIKE THIS!!

I don't think there's a single Indian who doesn't know this song....It is SUPER-AWESOME :D..
My undisputed favorite song of Daler...and one of my all-time favorite songs :)....
I have already talked about another Daler chartbuster "Na na na na naaa re" in one of my previous posts...

It's sad that...Daler's magic faded away after this...the rest of his songs until date are bad...and some are even pathetic/laughable....With the exception of "Rang de basanti"....Daler really has vanished...from the scene....He does involve himself in some reality shows....but...SERIOUSLY...WHERE IS THE DALER MEHNDI OF THE 90S...SOMEONE WHO UNLEASHED PANDEMONIUM ON THE STREETS WITH HIS AWESOME SONGS??

WISH HE RETURNS...:)

Cheers to all these stars & music icons..
cheers to good music & good times in life :)
cheers to u all :)
Ashwin..

No comments: