Me on FB

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NOSTALGIA - KRICKET (CRICKET WITH THE K)

NOTE: THE MEMORIES WHICH I'VE PENNED (TYPED?) DOWN IN THIS POST MAY BE WRONG ...
IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BETTER & MORE ACCURATE MEMORIES ....YOU ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED/REQUESTED TO LEAVE A COMMENT :)..

I dunno if any of you have watched this/remember having watched it....but I suddenly happened to remember "Kricket - Cricket with the K" at some random time today...I was transported backward in time...to my childhood...This game used to be shown on TV in the early 90s...after which it stopped...God knows why...

NOW...There are SOME TV games of the early 90s ....which NO ONE of my age group can forget - THE AWESOMEST AND MOST POPULAR ONE BEING "THE CRYSTAL MAZE"....Others were Interceptor (the game which replaced The Crystal Maze)....At this time, in one of our very own TV channels (I THINK the channel on which this show was broadcast was Prime Sports...or DD...Because the Star TV network hadn't come into existence yet) ...an AWESOME tv show was shown - KRICKET - Cricket with the K...

In this post...I will be talking about Kricket...as I don't seem to find anything about it anywhere on the net :)....Reg. The Crystal Maze, Wikipedia has done an AWESOME job of describing the show as well as its popularity :) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Maze ...
Like anyone else, I think of it as THE GREATEST GAME SHOW OF ALL TIMES!!! :)....So I will not be describing it in this post :)...

Anyways...coming to Kricket ..:)....The whole show was divided into a lot of rounds....There were 2 teams -
  • The Orange team, headed by Kris Srikkanth...and
  • The Yellow team...headed by Ravi Shastri (in the last few seasons...I think the Orange team was headed by Sourav Ganguly....The Yellow team was headed by Navjot Sidhu/Ajay Jadeja I think ...I can't exactly remember)...
  • Each team consisted of 6 members
  • The Umpire was Piloo Reporter...
  • The whole show was played in an indoor room..:)...obviously a HUGE ENOUGH one...which had a cricket pitch, wickets...and mock-floodlights :P...
  • A bald man with a moustache and beard would host the show...I don't remember who he is...
Round 1 -
After the toss, this used to be a 6-over match inside the room...
  • The portions of the side walls of the room near the batsman were worth 1-run each....and those portions near the bowler were worth 2-runs I think....
  • The wall behind the bowler was worth 4-runs ....A straight shot to the wall without the ball pitching anywhere meant 6 runs...
  • Of course, there was a keeper & 2 fielders each on either side while the bowler was bowling...The ball used was a Tennis ball :)...
  • The maximum a batsman could bat was for 2 overs, after which they had to retire...but could return later when the other batsmen got out...
Used to be a whole lot of fun...watching this :)

Round 2 - This was French cricket...one of THE BEST rounds :)...
It was a timed round ...A batsman would stand in the center and rotate the bat around himself ...2 members from the other team would bowl the balls underarm towards the batsman...The batsman had to keep deflecting the balls away....If he missed the ball and it hit his leg, he was out...

What I'm not sure of, is if every deflection of a ball counted as a run, OR...if it was every rotation of the bat which counted...

Round 3 - This used to be a round where 2 of the 4 remaining team members, taking turns, had to hold the bat horizontally, the bat facing upwards, they had to have the ball bouncing on the face of the bat...and run along the perimeter of the room...Every bounce of the ball was counted as a run...and the member was out if the ball failed to bounce on the bat...

Round 4 - There used to be a quiz round ...The host was the quizzer...The remaining 2 members from each team would participate...The questions would obviously be about cricket...The quiz, within itself had rounds - a simple round, then a buzzer round, a rapid fire...and so on...

The team with the maximum number of total points won the game! :) ...and AS FAR as I have watched...almost always, Shastri's team used to win! :D...

WOW!! I have those images of Srikanth in Orange and Shastri in Yellow playing this game...fresh in my mind ....as if it happened yesterday :) :)......I REALLY WANNA GO BACK TO THOSE DAYS!!!!! :) :) .....JUST LIKE Crystal Maze...:) :)...

It's so ironic....Every child wants to grow up!! ...Every grown-up wants to be a child again...:)....Those days were THE BEST....I used to actually play all these games, especially French cricket...at our house in Madras, which formerly had a huge play area in front...(before it was renovated)...with my brother, cousin and uncle...

@The same people - we should play French cricket again sometime, shouldn't we? :) ...It's been too long! :P

Whew!! I actually feel sad that there's information about this tv show ANYWHERE on the net! :( ....In my opinion, It was ONE OF THE BEST, MOST CLASSIC INDIAN GAME SHOWS EVER!!!!!!
Believe me, this show, if made again ...will generate MUCH MORE TRP'S and GENUINE ENTERTAINMENT....than all the "Maa-exchange" and other IDIOTIC, STUPID SCRIPTED "REALITY" SHOWS....WHICH ARE PURE BULLSHIT !!!!

Anyways...that's about it folks...
As always...thanks for reading my mokkai :D...
and yes....IF ANY OF YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SHOW...PLEASE PLEASE, I URGE YOU TO SHARE YOUR MEMORIES :) :)....
Cheers,
Hoping to play Kricket with some people at least..:) ...in the days to come...:)
Ashwin..

10 comments:

Abhiram said...

mama, I procured two seasons of crystal maze! Awesome it is really. Two things are my favourite (1) Him playing the organ (2) The task where they go to Momsie :D

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Great going, Abhi! :) Congrats! :) :P

Quotes of an Enigmatic Mind said...

Thanks Ashwin, for bringing back memories ok such wonderful shows!! I really loved Crystal Maze. wow!!!

Ashwin S Kumar said...

^^ Thank you :) Yup..I loved crystal maze too!! Who didn't?! :)

Guruprasad Shastri said...

Ashwin thanks a million for making my day..For the past 2 or 3 days I've been scratching my head trying to remember the name of one my childhood's favourite sports related game shows and was frustrated that i couldn't remember the name..Kricket - cricket with the K on prime sports is the show which you have so vividly remembered and described..There is one correction I'd like to make about French cricket..I'm not sure it was 2 members bowling simultaneously;I think it was 1..Once the batsmen hit the ball,he'd proceed scoring runs by rotating the bat around himself and stop it in time when fielder had possession of the ball because he could run him out by hitting the batsman's legs with the ball..I think Robin Singh once scored 8 or 9 runs in a single ball..I was crazy about the show and kids in our locality frequently used to play French cricket and bouncing the ball on the bat games..The Orange and Yellow teams of Srikanth & Shastri are still fresh in my mind..Sadly there is nothing on the net other than your post about this show which i think is a damn shame..Great news though about Crystal Maze..At the risk of sounding like the only person who's seen this,I'd like to tell you that there are a number of Crystal Maze episodes on Youtube..Thanks again for your wonderful post..Brings back nostalgic memories of Early 90s cable TV..
- Guru

Ashwin S Kumar said...

^^ Yup..those WERE THE DAYS!!
It's sad that the younger generation is missing out on such golden games!!! :)

Su said...

Since last night, I was breaking my head trying to remember the name of the show and after asking a lot of people.. finally got the name from my husband :D ! and when I looked up on the net.. yours was the only search result about the show!! thanks so much for posting this.. I remember it was soo much fun watching it!! I also distinctly remember Atul Wassan was on the show for quite some time..

Su said...

Dude!! I was breaking my head since last night trying to remember the name of this show..asked quite a few people as well.. finally got it this evening.. and when I tried to look up on the net.. yours was the only post :) Thanks so much was posting this.. it was so much fun watching this show.. I rarely missed an episode!! :) I also distinctly remember Atul Wassan being a part of the show for quite some time!! :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

^^ Oh yeah !! True !!

I too, have a faint memory of Atul Wassan being in the show :)

Dann said...

I Cannot forget this Show , As I was a paid audience. My friend told about this game show and how to be a part of it. Just wanted to see if any video uploads , But sad that did not find anything about it. Apart from this post.It was real fun and Harsha Bhogle and Keith Stevenson made the Show a good one.