Me on FB

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My experiences with concerts...:)

I've been EXTREMELY LUCKY in life whenever it has come to concerts...But for a couple of occasions, fortunately, I've ALWAYS been able to attend every concert I've wanted to :)...

1. Shaan & Sagarika (2002)
My craze for concerts began in school ...When I was in class 10 (2002 A.D), two budding singers (at that point), Shaan & Sagarika, a brother-sister duo were to perform at our school :) - Bishop Cotton Boys' School, the best school on earth :D ...I'm oh-so-proud to be a Cottonian! :)

Okay..So, this concert was priced at Indian Rupee ₹99...I had gone to school along with 2 of my friends then - Kiran & Deepak...We had a really good time...Though Shaan had very few hit songs to his credit then...He did perform well....The worst part - I had to return home soon & I missed him singing "Tanha Dil" :)...

2. AR Rahman (2005)
The next concert I saw was in 2005, one of the best I've ever seen in my life :) - no surprises - AR Rahman...in Bangalore...@Palace grounds :)....I went there along with Preethi, Krutika & Anup...Krithika was also there...It was pouring cats & dogs that day...People who thought the concert might be cancelled went back home...but we, being true fans of the music God, braved the torrential downpour...and finally it started at around 8 pm or so....It started with "Fanaa"...Rahman instantly had the whole crowd jumping...I am fortunate because this is the only concert of Rahman's in which he has performed this live...He then went on & set the stage ablaze with all this chartbusters :)....Much to the delight of the locals, Chinnakuil Chitra sang "Kannalane" in Kannada :) :)....He almost fulfilled EVERY request of his fans..:)...and it ended with Azadi + Vande Maataram ...it was so moving that it moved the rain Gods as well :)...and they started crying...The concert ended....As I think back, I had paid Indian Rupee ₹500 for this one :) WOW!! That was a concert which was REALLY WORTH 1 Million at least :) :) ...seriously!! Except SPB, the concert had EVERYONE who're a part of Rahman's concert-camp...It was a blissful concert :)...This was the first of many occasions in which Neehar became my concert-buddy :D ...We have the uncanny knack of bumping into each other during concerts :)....I would rate this as the 2nd best concert I've ever been to ...It was really AWESOME...but some songs..like Alka Yagnik's "Mehndhi hai Rachnewali" were unwanted and slowed down the energy...otherwise, it was near-to-perfect :)..

3. KK (2005)
I attended this with my cousin Arun....This concert happened at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, a little down Mysore Road...as a part of one of their fests..:)....The tickets were priced at Indian Rupee ₹100 :)...and the venue wasn't too far :)...and it was KK !!! Arun had a prior experience of watching KK live at Intel and he was absolutely spellbound :)..

So was I, at this concert...:)...He was SUPER-AWESOME!! KK has THE BEST AND MOST ENERGY on stage...Simply TOO GOOD!! ...He too, like Shaan, made sure that his song selection was near-to-perfect...He sang songs from his album - Pal, Yaaron etc...Jhankaar Beats....Some songs are common to Shaan & KK concerts - Dus Bahane, Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe....The SHOW-STEALER was Tadap Tadap with JUST A GRAND PIANO accompaniment....It was a PERFECT concert, BUT for ONE MAJOR element missing - Uyirin Uyirae...He DID NOT SING THAT!!! :-/....How can he ignore his GREATEST EVER NON-HINDI SUPERHIT??!! That too, in Bangalore! :) Anyways...it left an AWESOME lasting impression :)...and it was VERY WELL paisa vasool...for Indian Rupee ₹100...:) :) :)

4. Sonu Nigam (2006)
This was at the Chinnaswamy stadium...Attending this were myself, Krutika, Anup, Preethi and other friends of Anup - Manasa, Raksha, Chandrakanth, Vivekananda, Shashi etc...We attended the concert in celebration of Anup's birthday...This ticket was priced at Indian Rupee ₹200...

It was going good initially ...with Sonu entering with "Suraj Hua Maddham" and going on to sing Satrangi Re (which was his best), Tanhayee and so on...But it soon faded out - he began to sing all his not-so-good ones...skipping his many of his superhits which were obvious expectations from fans...It really left behind a dull impression...It was, in the end, a really forgettable concert - the worst one I've ever been to, so far...

Sonu is an AMAZING performer, undoubtedly; BUT THAT CONCERT COULD'VE REALLY BEEN AWESOME WITH GOOD SONGS SELECTION...

5. Shaan (2007)
Well...this was a free concert, as a part of the Times NIE Playfest :)....I had come to know of it just a few hours before the event....and I found awesome company in Gautam Kumar, the singer of our class...:)...We went to Palace grounds...:)

Shaan was a singer I didn't mind watching any number of times...and when he's performing for free in MY OWN CITY :) - WHY NOT!! :D ....This time, Shaan had a LOT more super hits behind him...and he started BELTING them out in AMAZING fashion :) :)....ever since his entry on stage with "Main hoon Don", which he replaced with "Main hoon Shaan", much to the delight of the crowd :)....Dus Bahane, Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe, It's the time to disco...the list of chartbusters continued in a very very elegant manner ...before it ended with his best - Tanha Dil :) :).
This, so far, HAS BEEN THE BEST concert I've EVER attended :)....It was TOTAL BRILLIANCE...:) fulfilled EVERY bit of my expectations :) ...A COMPLETELY satisfying experience :)

6. Shaan (2008)
Well...3rd time lucky :)....This concert was a part of an IPL 2008 match :)...in Bangalore...Royal Challengers v/s Delhi Daredevils....This was the first season - the RCB team was as PATHETIC as it could get!! :D :D ...and it was a bad performance :)....Anyways...at the beginning of the match walked in Shaan :)....with "Main hoon Don"...this was a good concert :)...it lasted for half an hour ...but it was short & sweet :)....Main Hoon Don, Jabse tere naina...few other songs and then Tanha Dil...:)...I've been very lucky to have watched one of my favorite singers live 3 times!! :) :)

7. S.P.Balasubramaniam (2010)
This was at Columbus, Ohio...:)...organized by the Columbus Tamil Sangam..:)....Undoubtedly, the LIVING LEGEND among singers today...:) - It was one of the greatest honors for me, getting to see him live :)...20$ for him was AN AWESOME deal :) ..I would've paid even $100 !!!
I went along with my good friend Barath and his relatives...

Well, the thing with people like SPB, ARR is that...they have WAY TOO MANY AWESOME songs :)...You really can't pick out selected songs from their list for a concert !!!!! :) Especially, for SPB - to satisfy you completely with all his 70,000+ chartbusters spanning over decades...he would've to perform for a month at least 24/7 :D :D :D...

Nevertheless, it was a REALLY good concert, with him singing "Anjali anjali","Jothe Jotheyali","Balleilakka", "Ilaya nila" ...The only disappointment was, it was an event organized jointly by Columbus Tamil Sangam and some other city's Telugu faction...So, SPB had to sing a lot of Telugu songs as well....

However, THE ENDING of the concert satisfied one and all :) :) - Oruvan Oruvan...I've recorded it fully ...here it is ...pls forgive my howls and hoots :P :P...I was TOO excited :) :) :) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wyBuVRC0I

It was an AWESOME day....I'm PRIVILEGED...I'm HONORED...I'm SPECIAL on this earth :) :) - I got the chance early in life...to see HE HIMSELF - HIS EXCELLENCY, Dr. S.P.BALASUBRAMANIAM LIVE !!!!!!!!!!! :) :) ....I AM REALLY REALLY LUCKY!! :)

8. Shreya Ghoshal (2010)
This is the concert which I last attended...This was in Columbus :)...right in the center of the city...at Palace theater...It was a REALLY AWESOME auditorium and as the name suggests, it was INDEED palatial..:) :)....There were other side-performers...who did a decent job...but then came THE GODDESS :) :) - the singer with THE SWEETEST VOICE EVER!!!!! - Shreya Ghoshal - the name is synonymous with "a voice like honey" :)...

She entered in with "Kaise Mujhe" and delivered ALL OF HER songs...She didn't spare EVEN ONE request from the audience...and much to our delight, she sang songs from EVERY POSSIBLE LANGUAGE!! :D :D - "Munbe va", then a song from Telugu and one from Malayalam...then of course, Bengali ...If I start naming her Hindi superhits, I will NEVER end...
This was another PERFECT concert! :) - ABSOLUTELY NO SONG was ignored !!!!

At $28, this was SIMPLY ONE OF THE GREATEST CONCERTS EVER!!!!!! :) :) Shreya Ghoshal is India's pride....Who ISN'T a fan of her!! - if not for her voice, a majority of guys also can't stop drooling over her for her awesome looks :P :P.....

Well, that's about all the concerts I've attended in life so far..:) ....Here I am, gearing up to attend what I feel will be THE BIGGEST ONE OF THEM ALL :) - Tamil music youth SENSATION Yuvan :) ...He's really EXPLODED with success in the past 2 years...his songs are just TOO FREAKIN ROCKING! :D ....This is happening on Sunday, Jan 16th in Chennai....and I'm going all the way JUST FOR THAT!!! The best part - it is gonna be FREE! WOW!! Watching Chennai's music phenomenon live in Chennai - IT IS GONNA BE ONE HELL OF A TIME!!
I JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR IT !! :)

Well...coming to the concerts I've missed - Himesh Reshammiya, Vinit Singh & a few others in B'lore ...Everyone knows I'm super-obsessed with Himesh Reshammiya :D :D...as a pseudo-fan....I would've loved to go for that one but it was really pouring hard that day...one couldn't quite ride a bike all the way to Palace grounds in that rain....I've missed AR Rahman's concert in Detroit, because it was abandoned....Lastly, I've missed the felicitation function - "Hats off Harris!" which happened in Chennai....Though it wasn't performed by Harris, still, a concert full of Harris chartbusters would've been awesome...

Coming to the "concerts" (if they can be called as concerts :P :P) I've given :P...as part of the CAT team or alone :P :P...ALL but one have been BIG FLOPS :P :P...with the sound equipment being pathetic...OR...my keyboard volume being too loud :P.....or THE MOST LIKELY ONE - my performance being lackluster :P :P :P...

Concerts which I wanna see live, sometime in life....before I leave the earth (I know I'm talking as if I'm gonna go away soon...:P ...Well life is uncertain...anyway anyway anyway...I won't get into a theory about the uncertainty of life....what I mean to say is :P...There are some things people want to do at least once in life...like in my case -
  • watch a Vijayakanth movie in a theater ..which I did......what's pending on my list -
  • Attend a Wilbur Sargunaraj concert - I'll definitely be attending it in B'lore :D ...
  • Watching a T Rajendar movie in theater - I'll be watching Oru Thalai Kadhal whenever it releases :P :P
  • Watching Harris Jayaraj live - HOW I WISH THIS HAPPENS!! :) :) It'll be the biggest dream coming true..:)..if it does..
That's about it...
Cheers to concerts!! Very few other things end up making your day than concerts! :)
Ashwin..






5 comments:

Abhiram said...

I agree about Shreya. She is awesome, and I am not talking about her singing :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Howdhamma :P..she's \m/ :P :P

Lakshman said...

Macha... You rock da.. I just love reading your posts.. Fantastic. :)

Lakshman said...

Macha... Your posts are really awesome.. Really enjoyed reading every one of them.. The way you have presented your thoughts is super !!! Keep it going macha..

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Thank you so much Lakshman! :)