Me on FB

Saturday, December 4, 2010

"ROOBA ROOBA" :) :)..and Harris Jayaraj

WARNING: HIGHLY MUSIC-ORIENTED POST

I'M SO IN LOVE ..WITH THIS SONG :) :)...It's been running in my head EVER SINCE the audio released ...

Very few songs in life have got me addicted to THIS extent -
Vaseegara (Minnale),
Neethaane (Sarvam),
Iragai Pole(Naan Mahaan Alla),
Ottraikkannala (Vel)
Chicken 65(Wilbur Sargunaraj) (SERIOUSLY! :D It's got one of THE BEST EVER bass backgrounds I've heard) :)
Chinna chinnadhai (Mounam Pesiyathey)

and of course...MOST Harris Jayaraj songs which are too many in number to mention in this post :)..

By "THIS EXTENT", I mean I've listened to these songs almost 24 hrs a day :)...for around at least a month :)....which would leave my roomie ...well ..ex-roomie :( ..Arun CS super-amazed :P....He would say - "My gaaad! U've lost it dude!" ...

If it's back home...my mom would also be amazed...and soon enough ..irritated about how I can INSANELY be listening ONLY to the same song around 100 times ..over and over again...and to add to the fury, singing it aloud too everywhere and every time :D

Anyway, coming back to this song ...Rooba Rooba...It's from the movie Orange...It marked the return of Harris Jayaraj after a 1 year hiatus...His last album was Aadhavan ....Harris had a ball of a year...with Ayan & Aadhavan topping the charts...And with Orange & Engeyum Kadhal, he's BACK WITH A BANG...continuing from where he had stopped...

Kollywood, without doubt, has the world's best musicians ...AR Rahman & Yuvan are unbeatable when it comes to orchestration and thinking out-of-the-box....
But yet, Harris, though not much of an out-of-the-box thinker...IS THE ONLY ONE who can come up with MESMERIZING tunes....Every romantic song of his JUST MESMERIZES ME...I feel I'm transported to a different world....The sort of an aura a Harris melody creates is JUST UNBEATABLE....Agreed orchestration and instrumentation are significant parts of a song ...but THE MOST IMPORTANT AND INTEGRAL PART IS THE "FEEL".....n THAT'S THE BEST PART ABOUT HARRIS SONGS...They have such a MESMERIZING, TENDER FEEL...
They really touch and stir your soul......

I'm a wannabe musician myself....and there's no doubt about who I look up to for inspiration....Sir Harris :)....most of my friends who've heard my songs and Harris songs will notice the inspiration :)....The only reason I'm still using Orkut is because of the Harris Jayaraj community and hundreds of like-minded fans...over there :)

Back to Rooba rooba, this is SUCH A SUPERB, LOVELY, BRILLIANT song...it got all the whistles when it played on the big screen...It is entirely shot in Mumbai...with a BEAUTIFUL girl, Shahzn Padamsee....Coming to the music, it starts off with a clean guitar....a humming....a whistle...and then the song starts....a beautiful journey for almost 5 minutes :)...where you're transported to a heavenly musical blissful world :)...This song's got just about everything - a highly enjoyable tune, beautiful bass, awesome chords and an apt rhythm..:)....
Wonderful singing by Shail Hada.....and the gibberish by Chinmayi - HATS OFF !!! CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IT IS HER!!!
not that I understand them, but the lyrics by Vanamali are awesome :) ..well, at least to sing along, they're awesome! :D

Listen to it here

BEST, "CHANCE-AAE-ILLE" PARTS OF ANY HARRIS SONG -

1. Chords - C minor and F minor are ALWAYS there :)....it's either Fm followed by Cm....or Cm followed by Fm...such a delightful chord combination it is!! :) :)....Try hard as I might to avoid this, I am invariably driven to use this combination in many of my songs too....simply because it creates such a super-awesome feel :)..

2. A mesmerizing female humming - RIGHT from Minnale days..the female humming in "Azhagiya Theeye" is still fresh in my mind...I don't think it'll ever get erased :)..

3. Gibberish muttering - In a tv show, singers Mahathi and Chinmayi termed this gibberish as "Harrish", named after him....Strange enough, the gibberish ACTUALLY is very catchy and before you realize it, you yourself are passionately muttering it in full flow :)...But for a couple of songs here and there, gibberish surely adds to the beauty of a Harris song..

4. Guitars - All songs of Harris which have acoustic guitar as the background become sensational hits!

5. Saxophone - The MOST important element of a romantic Harris melody...The incredible feel of a Harris melody simply won't be there without a saxophone interlude :) :)....
One of the main reasons for me to include saxophone interludes in my songs as well ...

6. Bass - Well...Rahman and Yuvan beat Harris in this department...nevertheless, that doesn't mean Harris is bad...He indeed, is SUPERB even in bass arrangements for his songs...

7. Bombay Jayashree, Karthik, Harini, Naresh Iyer, Benny Dayal, Hariharan, Harish Raghavendra, Mahathi - REGULARS in the Harris camp....Harris won't do without these singers...

With all the above parts...anyone can combine and produce music....
BUT ONLY HARRIS CAN PRODUCE MAGIC :)....

Well, THIS MUSICAL LEGEND has now completed a decade in Tamil Cinema....
I grew up listening to this guy's music....right from Minnale...to Engeyum Kadhal....
Throughout my college life (PUC->BE->MS), this guy's songs have given me CONSTANT joy....have NEVER failed to keep me in my best spirits...:)...have NEVER given me sadness even for a moment :)....They've ALWAYS been my solace in testing times....and 've always been the songs to dance to...when I'm hyper-happy :) :)...I feel a bliss I can't explain when I listen to his songs..:)

The only sad part is ....in an attempt to recreate the magical feel in all his songs...he ends up reusing tunes on too many occasions ...:(...for example, the first two lines of Rooba Rooba ....are are the same as "Mudhal Mudhalai" from "Laysa laysa" ..tune-wise...

I've listened to Harris songs way too much that I can easily identify which part of what song has been reused..:)....within few secs :).....It used to be one of my pastimes while spending time with Arun CS and Abhiram Natarajan...

And of course....A true Harris fan can't help feel sad about his blatant copying on some occasions ..like "June Pona" from "All Rise"...and "Karu Karu" from a song by Westlife...

But for these shortcomings...He's REALLY like a messenger of God...sent down to give bliss to people through his music...:)

LONG LIVE Dear Harris!! May you continue to produce SOUL-STIRRING, MESMERIZING music for decades to come...may you continue to produce MAGIC instead of music...as you've always been doing....GOD BLESS YOU....You may not, but your songs sure will live forever! :)

For now..I'm listening to Rooba Rooba for the 50th or 60th time today :)....
Cheers,
Ashwin..





6 comments:

Abhiram said...

unnakul naan ilwa list alli? :P

Ashwin S Kumar said...

of course idhe! :P

Ajay Kumar Meda said...

hi bro.....can u tel me all the chords for this song rooba rooba..?? im learning keyboard...

Ashwin S Kumar said...

sure..will put it up in a few days...

vinod said...

it dint create any magic....song was good...but in a period of time....it got diminished...but it doesnt happens with yuvan or ARR....i love Harris's music..but all his songs were never there in my ipod for more than a month...ilayaraja is alwez d king of melody...all harris songs reminds me of his old songs...somehow..he is a nice composer,but i would say he has no own style kinda yuvan has.....no offence....

Ashwin S Kumar said...

^^ true!!!