Me on FB

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A TRIBUTE TO THE ONLY THING I LIKE IN THE US OF A - THE ONE AND ONLY VEGGIE GUMBO :)


Ok..I m SURE all of you have heard about the Veggie gumbo....because half of my status messages on all the social networks I am a part of, are about the Gumbo :)

Pretty common scene at "Asok Palace"...in the premises of the OSU Campus...

At around 5 pm or so...

ACT 1 SCENE 1

Me: Dude..Today let's cook something dude..it's been ages
Arun: Sure dude...I'll just sleep for a while..then we'll clean and cook...
TOTALLY dude!! we should go on economy mode dude..we're spending too much..
Me: Sure dude..even i'll also sleep for a while..

By the time we get up, it is 8 pm....I go to Arun's room...

ACT 1 SCENE 2

Me: (Start off with a loud voice) Dude...I am thinkinggggggggggg...........................( voice becomes very soft now) ...gumbo..............

(Both of us ...stroking our chins with our fingers....and closing one eye.....and gradually converting the thoughtful expression to a smile.....and a gradually increasing sound - "aaaaaaaaaaaaaee??" :P )

Both of us (A LOUD ROAR): TOTALLLLLLLLLLLY DUDE !!!!!!!! hurrrrrrrh !!!!!
(A Pritam-style yes :D....For those of you who dunno this, please watch this video at 0:16....it is AWESOME :D )
AAAAAMAAAAAA!!
( An Azhagiri style yes..:D......at 1:16 in this video )

I open google maps..see COTA bus timings...and find out when the next bus no. 5 is...
it usually would be 10 mins from when I check the timing :D.....So we put on our jackets (yes..nature has this uncanny knack of keeping the weather chill...whenever Arun and I decide to go to Qdoba (which houses the legendary Veggie Gumbo ))...We run to West 5th Ave...and catch the bus in time....The bus takes 10 mins to go to Qdoba...

We get down at Qdoba...cross the roads in India-style...:p......and enter in.....
The man at the counter will see us ...and give a wide smile :).....we are one of their favorite customers...read on..you'll know why :)

We go in the queue...and then I order...Veggie Gumbo...with black beans...corn...hot salsa...extra hot salsa...sour cream...cheese...and chips....
Arun orders the same ..with his toppings....and then takes a chocolate brownie....

We go.....and then.....like tigers who've been starved for days being brought in front of their meat...our eyes open wide....our salivated tounges drop down....we feel a roar within us ....and DIVE into the slurrrrrrrrrrpyyyyyyy thick yummmmmmyyy dish.....
Doesn't it look ABSOLUTELY DELICIIIIIIIIIOUSSSSSSS?? :)

To be frank...it is very very close to Rasam rice...it is almost a Mexican version of Rasam rice....
BUT....IT IS DIFFERENT.....AND IT IS ADDICTIVE :) trust me :).......

If you call smoking, drinking and doping as addictions...then my friend, please eat a veggie gumbo! :) ....It is a whirlpool which'll always pull you in :).......I JUST CANNOT HAVE ENOUGH OF IT !! IT ABSOLUTELY ROCKS! :)

Arun and I finish off our Gumbo in 10 minutes max :)....and then..we sit for 2 minutes and eat the chocolate brownie....and then...

ACT 2 SCENE 1

Me: Dude...I am thinking of having one more...
Arun: (stroking our chins with our fingers....and closing one eye.....and gradually converting the thoughtful expression to a smile.....and a gradually increasing sound - "aaaaaaaaaaaaaee??" :P )
TOTALLLLLLLLY DUDE !!!! hurrrrh ! :D

We go in for another one :)..
This time..we slowly get filled...so..we take 15 minutes to finish :)..

Arun says he's had enough.....he decides not to spend.......

and then..finally when there's 10 minutes left for the bus :)

ACT 2 SCENE 2

Me: Dude...I am going and buying one to-go ("To-go" in American english means "parcel" in Indian english :D )
Arun: Sure dude...
(I get my cover and sit down......after a minute )
Arun: Dude...I am thinkinggggggggggggggg..even I shld take one to-go dude...:P
(stroking his chin with his fingers....and closing one eye.....and gradually converting the thoughtful expression to a smile.....and a gradually increasing sound - "aaaaaaaaaaaaaee??" :P )
Me: (stroking my chin with my fingers....and closing one eye.....and gradually converting the thoughtful expression to a smile.....and a gradually increasing sound - "aaaaaaaaaaaaaee??" :P )
Arun: TOTALLLLLLLLLLLLY DUDE!!!!!! AAAAAAMAAAAAA!! hurrrrrrh :D

He buys another one...and we return home...by 9.30 pm or so......

Arun: After eating so much.......sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppp :D

then...at 11.30 pm...we feel hungry...we wake up....and have the other gumbos too :) :)
That's how much we loveeeeeeeee Gumbos :)

FLASHBACK ...to Aug 28th, 2008..

I had just landed the previous day in the US of A. My taste buds were used to Indian food for 21 years :).
This was the first time I saw the veggie gumbo...I started eating it .....It was okay....Wasn't too bad....and I thought the quantity was a lot.....I was able to eat just half.....

We used to come there once a month.....and as we came.....I started liking the gumbo more and more.....It became the usual hangout place for me, bro and Yashas whenever we met.....

But ...after a year .......Arun came ......AND THINGS CHANGED DRASTICALLY :D

We now go for a gumbo once a week :) ....and look at the change - a guy who was struggling to finish one gumbo :)....can now finish 3 gumbos in 4 hours!!!!!!!! :) :)

And yea...after we accumulate enough points on our Qdoba card...we get a Gumbo free :)

A VEGGIE GUMBO TASTES EVEN MORE DELICIOUS WHEN IT IS FREE!!!!!!!! :) :)

AND THE GUMBO HAS BEEN MY ONLY SURE-SHOT ANTI-DEPRESSANT TILL DATE OVER HERE :)

I already have the names of "kaanathadha kanda"/"bakkasura" etc etc...given my LOVE for food....The very thought of going out to eat FASCINATES me and brings a joy in me as much as a chocolate would bring to a 5-year old kid....

I go and mercilessly PLUNDER THE FOOD and DESTROY IT COMPLETELY.....AS IF I HAVE NEVER SEEN FOOD IN MY LIFE BEFORE...AS IF I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN STARVED SINCE CHILDHOOD...

If the food is delicious ...then I can assure you...that the plate and the spoon shall be swiped clean :D ...and shall be licked to the last drop :P :P (ok not literally :P .....although I wouldn't mind licking the plate if no one is watching me :P :P :P :P )

I LOVEEEEEE eating out ...THAT MUCH......

But I had kinda subsided....during my 1st year over here....my eating habits were a bit reduced....
BUT...ever since Arun came...:P......my mercilessness towards food has just DOUBLED.....

I have become twice as worse!!!!!! :D :D.......I hog twice as shamelessly like a pig as I used to earlier :P.....My craving for food has just doubled :P........like a psycho lover towards his girl :P

Arun and I cook food in bulk...with the intention of it lasting for a week.....but it gets over the same day :P :P...because once we get the "FLOW" to eat....there's no stopping us...

we keep removing tastes :D...we eat something spicy...and to remove that taste..eat something sweet..and then again eat something spicy...and so on !! :D :D

THANK GOD..I am tall...so no matter how much I eat...I appear thin :P....so..people usually tell me...eat properly :P...and sympathize :D :D.....little do they know ..about what a bakkasura I am :P :P

IF THERE'S ANYTHING I WILL MISS IN THE USA...WHEN I HAVE TO GO BACK 2 INDIA....IT'LL BE THE VEGGIE GUMBO......I M NOT GONNA MISS ANYTHING ELSE :)....well yea....NO BETTER COMPANY THAN ARUN...when it comes to plundering food....will obviously miss that !!

QDOBA PEOPLE, PLEASEEEEEEEEE OPEN A BRANCH IN BANGALORE, INDIA, AFTER I GO THERE !!!!!!! I SOLEMNLY PROMISE TO EAT ONE GUMBO AT LEAST DAILY!!!!!! :)


7 comments:

Harinee said...

Never tried a veg gumbo.. but from ur description and the pic.. looks yummy.. Learn how to cook it.. and make it for us.. wen u come down to blore :):)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

Sure K ;)..

First for chellame ;)....and then..if time permits..for all of you :)

sun said...

dei dumbo, evlo gumbo sapudra da...
overa scene podame, engaluku sikrema cook panni podu ....

Ms. Raman said...

Hee hee! must have missed this entry of yours.. now I kno wat u and arun do...eat and sleep all day.. bakasuras!! ..wat an apt name!

Ashwin S Kumar said...

haha :D

Sharanya said...

Good point to dedicate a post to Gumbo .. have bn eating in Qdoba for close 5 yrs and my order has bn always the same to the point i can tel it in my slp! and my best memory abt is wen I went to Qdoba and their cash registry wasnt working, so we got our gumbo's free. And ten mins later it started working !! plus my last meal in CMH was gumbo before i boarded my flight to Austin

Ashwin S Kumar said...

@Sharanya -
wow! didn't know you were so much of a Gumbo fan too! :) nice! hehe