Me on FB

Saturday, September 12, 2009

UNNAI POL ORUVAN - the new face of tamil music

This is the first time I am posting a music review of sorts ..I guess..

But yeah...the music of this movie made me do it :)

There have been very few redefining albums in Tamil Cinema..as far as I have known..

Roja was one which changed the very face of music.......and in recent times....it has been Minnale.....which indeed struck like lightning..and made all ears glue to it...

But ever since then.....there have been no PATH-BREAKING albums..according 2 me......until this one..

every album had a pattern ...some romantic songs..some fast songs...some rap songs...
all with a deja-vu feel..........it was a pattern.....I mean...as soon as you hear such songs...you'll be telling to urself - "ohh...seems like I've heard something like this before".....

But this album has FRESHNESS written all over it ......
Tamil music badly needed something like this!

I mean....this might not appeal to all audiences....and may not get the best of reviews......
BUT....I personally love the songs.....simply bcos....I'VE NEVER HEARD SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE...IN TAMIL CINEMA...n i m quite fascinated by it.....

in most albums....we see a lot of importance given to the tune..n lyrics..those 2 often stand out in the song....orchestration more or less takes a back-seat always....

but in this one...its EXACTLY the other way round......the orchestration is prominent and gives you an incredibly different feel....

1. "Nilai Varuma" - Just when you think u've heard this slow kind of soothing melody before from Bombay Jayashree....everyone goes in high pitch......and you see some brilliant instrumentation accompanying the high-pitched vocals....awesome song

2. "Allah Jaane I" - sung by Kamal...it sounds like yet another Kamal-style sadness-filled song....
but again....one with a difference!!

3. "Allah Jaane II" - sung by Shruti...fast-beat songs in Tamil cinema... are usually disco songs or love songs...but this one is like a hollywood OST ...awesome!

4. "Unnai Pol Oruvan" - again....another Hollywood OST-ish track...breath-taking pace and feel in the song.....Shruti Hassan's background in Rock music definitely is widely evident ..in songs like these.....

5. "Vaanam Ellai"......the pick of the album ..for me...though we have had a lot of Blaaze rap in the years...this one seems completely out of the world...for me.....it's as if we've heard Blaaze for the first time....

and Shruti is just brilliant again...in vocals as well as the music direction.....

FINAL VERDICT - ***** ( just for the sheer innovative style of the songs !! )

Shruti has got GOD-LEVEL musical talent!!

She has become like an inspiration to me ..now :).....I will strive to make different music :)...IF someday I happen to do music :)

www.tamilmp3world.com



3 comments:

Suman Shivashankar said...

Searching for the songs now. :)

-Suman

Prashanth said...

All the best :)

A link to the song in your post would have been useful

Ashwin S Kumar said...

included :)