Me on FB

Friday, November 7, 2008

2 months in Columbus - loving and hating it !

Disclaimer:

I have not given a disclaimer in any of my blog posts till now..:)...But from now on...I thought...I'll better make some things clear...that they are MY VIEWS and MY PERCEPTIONS...and need not be the actual reality....

I DO NOT, IN ANY WAY, MEAN TO CRITICIZE EDUCATION IN INDIA...IT HAS MADE ME WHAT I AM TODAY!! :)..
I AM JUST WRITING MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...IT NEED NOT BE LIKE THAT FOR EVERY ONE :)...It happened to me!! Thats it :)
_____________________________________________________________________
Hello ppl...

How r u all doing ?? Ya...its been a little over 2 months here..in Columbus..and vow!! so soon !! :)...I wish 2 years also get over so soon..in the blink of an eye !!

Anyway...in this whole month...nothing much has changed...except that I am beginning to like stuff...and hate stuff....

Let me begin with what I hate over here ..( pl. note that hate does not mean "hate" in the actual sense...but more like...I "don't like" it...OR..I do not prefer these things...OR..I m better off without these things..:) ) ...These are the things which not just me...any grad student wud've cribbed about ..at least once till now :)...

1. Assignments :) - Not many grad students will have affinity for this word :D....
I am not against assignments...They should be there of course...But its just that...they are more like an "extra burden" in my already hectic schedule...:)

2. My hectic schedule itself :D - Of course...I know...for everyone grad life is hectic....But it just gets a little pissing off when....there are TOO many different things to do...I mean...I'd be better off doing too many things in the same area with full concentration.....rather than....too many things in different areas..

3. Cafe shifts ( applies to those who r in campus dining services ): :...Yeah....The cafe shifts are not too bad...But...there are some days where I don't get a break...N I've to cook non-stop for 3 hrs....N yeah..the food at the place where I work...is not good :D...Even the food, which I cook...tastes bad :D .The only edible cheese pizza gets boring and consequently inedible after a while...N closing shifts are the worst...coz U've to stay back for 30 mins extra...to clean up the place!

4. Mid-term exams: - These exams are highly challenging....BUT..I feel..that time is a bit too less....N v cud always do..with 10 minutes more :)....I might probably be saying this becoz...back home...exams were such ( 5 questions out of 8 ..in 3 hrs..:) ) that...I could even sleep mid-way...get up again...and finish 8 out of 8 questions...in 2 hrs 45 mins :D :D...( Trust me, I have ended up doing that once or twice!! :P )

5. Sleep: :D...People who know me well...know how much I love sleep...n how I can't be without it !! I re-iterate the fact that...in 4 years..I haven't slept..only on exam days..and Sprite-party days@Abhiram's house....Here, every week there are days...without sleep....

Coming to the positives...what I really like here...

1. Variety - There's variety in everything here...

The kind of food I eat,
The kind of people I meet,
Weather..from extreme cold to sweltering heat,
Music..from soft melody to heavy beat ! :P

But there's no variety when it comes...to me writing T.Rajendar style dialogues :D...they shall remain..for ages to come :)....

Seriously...Mexican food rocks...The first time I had it..I was like - "its ok"...n I soon got addicted to it...:)....Chipotle is an integral part of my weekly diet..

The kind of people I meet...yeah....I have some Chinese and American girl friends at the cafe..Of course..guys also.....but more of girl friends...Ya ya :D...girl FRIENDS only !..:D....Its quite a different experience chatting with them!! Its quite different..not saying "machi....macha.....dude...OR.....deii...mama...maapile....leii...nan magane...etc etc :D :D....somehow ..these words haven't come in my mouth while talking to them :P :D...which is good " :D

2. Assignments :) - Ok..the positive part of the assignments is that,.....they are challenging...they actually make me use my brain...which was idle for 4 years...:D...in those 4 years..assignments usually were something like -

1. Define _____
2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of _____
3. What do you mean by _____
4. Define ______ with an example
5. Prove that ____
6. State and prove _______

Something like that...:D.....N believe me...I never used to even open the text book for all this....I used to reduce Kamle's assignment :D into half...:D....Such was the degree of laziness in 4 years :D...
But here...they actually make you use your brain..and apply what you've learnt...

3. My hectic schedule itself:
Yeah the positive aspect of this is...I am learning how to manage time...How much time to devote for what etc...n sometimes its nice to be busy..even if ur actually not doing all the work ur supposed to do..:D..people will think "full busy guy" n all :D...hehe..

4. Mid-term exams:
The positive thing over here is...the kinda questions asked...they're really good...
The exam is a test of how well you've understood concepts..rather than how well you can gobble up and vomit stuff..OR...how well you can vomit some stuff without gobbling anything :D :D..(which was what I was being tested on...for 4 years :D )

MY STRATEGY ON HOW I SURVIVED IN THE UNIV IN WHICH I STUDIED BACK HOME :)
AND HOW I WILL GET PROPERLY SCREWED IF I EVEN TRY TO DO ANY OF THESE HERE :D -

1. With a neat diagram, explain _______
Ans: Draw the diagram as neat as possible...and write all the rubbish u can...below :D..

2. Write short notes on _______ / Briefly describe _________
Ans: Write PAGES AND PAGES on that !! :D / Describe in as many pages as possible :D

3. What are the different types of ____? Explain.
Ans: Remember all the types properly...WORD-TO-WORD, SPELLING MISTAKE-TO-SPELLING MISTAKE. ( Use anagrams to memorize all of them :) )..write them properly..and below each type...write all the rubbish u can! :D

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of ____ ?
Ans: Same strategy as last question :)

These tips worked PERFECTLY fine, PARTICULARLY for subjects like MIS, ETM, PUID, SPT, SE etc..

5. Cafe shifts:
Yeah...:D...there are some reasons...why the cafe is really awesome :D :D ..hehe...but yeah..
otherwise...cooking professionally is something very unique...:).
and of course...all this is counted as "work experience"...it is a JOB..

n lastly the BEST THING in OSU :

6. THE OSU SCHOOL OF MUSIC !!!: :)

It has practice rooms with grand pianos where anyone can go and play...It is a little HEAVEN here...:)....I have found my hangout place here, at last !!!

It felt so AWESOME...getting my fingers on a piano....that too..the grand piano...
after more than 2 LOOOOOOOONG months....I longingly remember all the jamming sessions back home....n how inexplicably good they were !! :)

I thank my friends Sai and Santhosh who told me about this and called me today..else I would've never known about this...Thanks macha's !!

N ya..THERE'S NOTHING POSITIVE ABOUT LOSING SLEEP !! :D :D :D..
I m missing out on all the extra sleep and laziness I would've got back home !! :)

That's it for now people...
I am supposed to present a paper tomo...I have some 14-15 hrs left...to start reading the paper and start working on the ppt etc....I can probably spare some 3 hrs for sleep..may be...Lets c...

My next blog post will probably come during the quarter vacation..
Till then..
Take care all
Adios!
Ashwin !!

PS: in this month...there was a chick whistling ...while walking towards Bharath...:D :D...
I hope Bharath doesn't join my cafe..coz...he'll surely attract all the girls who r currently attracted to me !!!!! ::D

11 comments:

Archana said...

dude.. i really appreciate your writing skills.. even a trivial thing is made so special.. it was as if i could visualize things that you have described... or, can i appreciate my imagination skills??? ;)

about the grand piano, well.... i havent heard u play the own u had at home... u r good with singing i know... thanks to the recordings you had shared with me :D no kidding!

hmmm, nice writing dude... keep it going :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

hmmm...
u know wat archana :)...even u have awesome writing skills i must say..i have never seen u writing like this before..:D...kidding...
i wonder y u aren't being active on ur blog....i wud be awesome if u too could post....or even more awesome..if u could sing :P :D..hehe

thanks anyway !! :)
ashwin

sai... comfortably dumb said...

ha ha ha... u cud have waited till this saturday and written about our jam session also :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

:D...appo i'll write another one da..:)...with photos n videos uploaded...:)

Archana said...

u know wat??? i was actually thinking abt the same thing!! y did i stop writing blogs?? i dont know.. maybe the inspiration died :(

i promise to write a post soon.. all about the latest happenings :d which i know is ur fav topic :D

about my other skills and interests, care to check out my orkut profile.. singing isnt on the list by the way ;)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

:) hmmm

Suman Shivashankar said...

awesomeness.. Its good to do multiple things at once man.. It gives a great sense of accomplishments when each one of them are successful.. :).

Grand Piano..? Nice.. Hope some pictures are on their way.. :)

Suman Shivashankar said...

*accomplishment (my bad :D )

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thanks dude..:)..sure...photos will soon come...

Ketaki said...

yeah... i saw you sleeping in the class today! :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

:D