Me on FB

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

OVER A MONTH AT COLUMBUS, 2 DAYS AS A CHEF ;)

hey all...

m back to blogging after a month....at Columbus...
anyway...I've quite a bit of stuff to share with all you guys....
This post will have a little to do with Phonetics...:D

Well...for a start....my name over here as been changed....
I am no longer Ashwin...i.e. "Ah - Shwin"...
I am now..."Ash"win...i.e...."ash" as in "ash karenge aur kya?" [;)]...

Its good...that my 8th sem project at RVCE...due to which I..in particular...had a lot to do with phonetics...pronunciation differences between American and Indian accent...etc....So...that has helped me a lot to easily switch between the two accents dynamically [:d]....N plus the fact that I imitate a lot of people..supports this ability...[:)]...

So yeah....I work part-time at "The Marketplace On Neil".....its like a cafe here....2 roads from where I stay ...My job includes cooking [;)]..( oh yeah...for the past 2 days..I have been doing meat pasta...chicken rice etc...[:d]..)....and yeah...I don't cook at home n all !!!
FULL level...i cook ONLY at cafes n hotels [;)]...

..n then..sometimes...refilling pasta..rice etc....clearing the trash...packing up boxes...and then....the best part...
calling out people's names to hand over their boxes to them....
At this stage, I am more or less forced to "Switch on" my American accent...
Coz there are names like Susan, Jennifer etc...
which HAVE to be pronounced as "S-yew-S-in", "J-sh-enna-fur" etc...When I meet you guys next..remind me to imitate these [:D]....If I say these same names desi style..[:D]...they all stare at me...and still wait...[:d]....
Oh yeah...I was walking with Bharath (Bharath Sriram..my senior at RVCE ISE...but classmate here [:D]) to my dept...on the way...I started imitating one of the ladies at the dept...Bharath wud've surely thought that I SO loved the accent...I went on for a minute or so...n then realized....I am the middle of the footpath...People wud think something's gone wrong with me....[:D]

But yeah...there've been some funny things which have happened though....like...
yest..I was serving out boxes to people at the counter...when the chef next to me asked -

He: "You're new ha...'re ya hEavin fuhn ??"
Me: "Yup..pretty much"....( that should work perfectly fine...back home ...rite? :) )
HE: "What's that?"
Me: "Yyyeaaaa....it ain't been BE-ADD ( bad) so fawr.."
He: "haha"

now comes the big part...
Me: "Btw..I am Ashwin"
He: "Oh !! I've been here fer a year mate!"...

?????????????????????
How could he possibly answer that to what I said ???? :D...It still beats me!

Anyway...to sum that up...its not always that I have had to speak wierdly with the american accent...there r some people who understand what I say with my desi accent itself...If i speak a little slowly....But I am not that kinda guy...I go on and on and on chattering to glory ..:D
Bharath will vouch for that....

I had mentioned in my earlier post that...People here are very friendly...Even strangers talk to you..as if they know you..etc etc....
At least with me..its happened this way...
If der's a chick coming towards me on the street...only in rare cases..like...I've not watched my step...or my bag is open..or my shoelace has not been tied... something like that.,..she wud say - "hey..." watever...and then she wud smile...I would say "Oh! Theank you souw muach"..She wud say "Oh! Thats ok..Heave a nice day"..."You too"..

The "Hey! How're ya doin ta-day?" and "Heave a nice dayy" are headers and footers....by default..to any data u send or receive from people...[:)]..Anyway coming back to the point....
Unless something like that happened..no chick would talk to me...
But that day..when Me, Bharath, Krishna and Arun ( Bharath's roomies ..and my partners in making Bharath's life miserable [:d] ) were walking on the sidewalk. ( footpath)....when there was this chick coming towards us...

She seemed to be heading towards Bharath..n when she finally did...she gave a WIDE SMILE.( all 32 teeth [:D]..it was a grin more or less ) at Bharath !! [:d]....n not towards any of us..[:d]...
vow !!! way to go Bharath !! [:D]...U've sure got wat it takes...to be a heart-throb [:d][:d]....

Anyway...I just remembered that I've come here to study..n not waste time...
So..coming to studies...well..it is getting quite hectic....I've studies, assignments, work n other stuff to balance...
Classrooms here are usually very quiet..any discussions would be about the subjects..and some subjects have "class participation" as the criteria..for grading students...Unlike back home...where classes ...were HEAVEN..:)

here..assignments are to be taken very seriously..and they form an important part of your grade...unlike back home...where Kamle would write it sincerely...i wud reduce it to half and copy it...it spreads...n finally Abhiram's assignment would be less than a page...and we used to do this only if our internal marks were low [:d]....

I am also working on some papers and projects now..that is taking away some of my time...and more of sleep....Back home..the only nights were I didn;t sleep used to be...internals and VTU exams..[:)]...here its just been one week since the course started...N I've not slept on many occasions...Me finding time to write this post ...is itself rare..[:)]...

So from now on..you guys can except a post a month...thats the best I would be able to post....
n one more thing I m missing is the Indian calendar...IT IS THE BEST...with all festivals and holidays....I envy everyone who has one week of holidays for Dasara..[:d]..

Anyway..thats it for now guys...m signing off now....have a class to attend :(
Happy dasara to all !!
Take care
Missing home, family and friends,
Ashwin..

PS: One thing I haven't given up on..is writing T Rajendar dialogues..I will never give it up [:d]

6 comments:

Pooots said...

Thats a nice post.. It aint too bad ;) ;)
I exactly know what you are talking about in many instances. Its good to know that you have started working! great going!! :-)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

hmmm..:)..
ThEank yEw souw muh-ch! :D

Prashanth said...

Nice :)

MANISH said...

For a change I liked ur never ending lines.......

Work hard!!!! :)

cheers!!!!!

Ashwin S Kumar said...

haha..
thanks dude!

sai... comfortably dumb said...

ha ha ha nice!