Me on FB

Sunday, August 31, 2008

3 DAYS AT COLUMBUS, OHIO

This is my first blog post which does not have a song :(

I feel quite odd, because all that I had to all these days..was to put up a song...describe the original song and then my version and be done with it...

Now..I have to describe a place...and...my 3-day experience in this place....

Let me start from the time I left...27th Aug 08...7.30 pm...Besides family, Abhiram came to my place to see me off...Then..the cab came..We left...It was pouring cats and dogs...The route to BIAL rocks!!! What a road !!! And the airport !!! WHOA !!!!!! I was wondering if I had entered the USA already !!!

BIAL is the best airport I have seen in India...Its just mind-blowing....
Vivek ( my senior from RVCE IT..who's also come to do his MS@OSU ) and I were supposed to travel together...We finished all the procedures....and ate at Pizza hut....was gr8...the flight was supposed to take off at 1 am...it took off at 1.30 am....We saw Gurukiran and Nandhitha at the plane..They are the judges of Confident Star Singer, a Kannada singing reality show....
I didnt sleep now...in order to avoid jetlag later...

We reached Bombay at 3 am...Bombay airport was sad...Seriously..It was like a railway platform...People all over the place...It was so stuffy....

We boarded the flight..It left at 7.30 am...
This journey was good....I slept well...and the food was awesome..especially the lunch...We reached Frankfurt at 11.30 am local time...We left at 1 pm I think....

This journey was sad...the food was not good...
I somehow stayed awake by watching 2 movies...Life in a metro...and Partner...
We reached Chicago at 4.30 pm local time....Chicago airport...man...no words to say...
But..the phone booths suck !!! We had a bad time using the phone booths !!!

The UA flight..from there... was delayed by 2 hrs...
So..We finally left at 9 pm...and reached Columbus at 11.15 pm local time...
It was overall....a great journey....

Bro picked me up at the airport...Came home...Had dinner..and just crashed....Got up the next day morning....and from then on...these are the changes which I got used to..over the last 3 days..

1. No idli/dosai for breakfast...its either cereal or bread-butter-jam....I chose the latter
2. No mug and bucket and water...:(...Toilet paper !!
3. No mosquitoes :) :) :)..Thats something awesome...But ya..I do miss screwing those menacing creatures with the mosquito bat back home :)
4. No cell phone...My fingers feel odd...bcoz back home..they were always on the cell keypad !
5. No Kannada around :)...I dont wanna forget the language....Its too good....
I miss shouting "Loafer nan magane...Nim ajji...Muchkond iro le" etc...:D :D
6. No Indian channels on TV :(....HOW I MISS SUN MUSIC !!! :(
7. I miss my keyboard which I used to play for hours everyday

Moving outside the house..
6. Roads are super..I m saying this..coz I come from B'lore u see! :)
7. No traffic at all...everything's just so smooth...No loud horns and smoke-on-your-face-and-eyes from autorickshaws
8. Its quite a calm city...Not the 24/7 vibrant and dynamic that Bangalore is
9. Seat-belts are compulsory...Road discipline rocks..
10. No two-wheelers...
11. PEOPLE HERE..ARE SO FRIENDLY...I mean...
You go to a shop or a bank...All you need is something from them..and it is done....
for e.g. - "ondhu diary milk kodi"
"eshtaaythu?"
"Ippathu rupaai saar"
thats wat usually happens in B'lore...

BUT here...You usually end up having quite a conversation with him/her....And they talk to you...as if you are a gr8 friend..."When did you land? How're u finding the place? R you liking it? Settling down well??"
I mean...this might not always be awesome..but still....nevertheless....it is really nice...of them....to put newbies at ease straightaway...
I mean...The "Don't talk to strangers" thing...is surely not quite there....
I sneezed twice at the airport...Immediately, a lady said..- "God bless you! You ok? Need some water?"...I mean..I aint saying this won't happen in India...but still...you wouldn't except such a thing right??? :) unless you are awesome-looking...and some1 from the opposite sex tells the same thing to try n impress u??
On second thoughts...I wonder if the lady was trying to impress me..coz I just realized I am awesome looking! ;) ...lol

Anyway..so far....I have eaten at a Mexican restaurant and an Indian restaurant..Hoping to explore more places....in the time I have...before classes start..

Bottomline: US of A rocks big-time...no doubt...but yeah...I still miss home!! Nothing like it :)

8 comments:

c said...

Hi Ashwin - nice post; keep them coming. Enjoy the stay there, do well and the rewards would follow. All the very best, as always.

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thank u

Prashanth said...

\m/

Keep posting :-) Wish you a pleasant stay, and an enlightening experience :P

(God bless you :P )

pushki said...

oye ashwin !! refreshing post dude.. have a rocking time in the us of a..

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thank u! [:)]

Suman Shivashankar said...

Good to know that there are very friendly people out there... Enjoi your time there dude :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

thanks man :)

Ashwin S Kumar said...

*dairy milk :D